Problem mapping SmallDateTime field to Timestamp

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

just4geeks
Premium Member
Premium Member

Problem mapping SmallDateTime field to Timestamp

Post by just4geeks »

Hi ,

I'm facing problem in two scenarios

For a job whose src is SQL server and Target is Oracle I have a src field which is of the datatype SmallDatetime which is to be mapped to a target field of datatype Timestamp.

In Second Job whose src is Oracle and Target is SQL server have a src field which is of the datatype Timestamp which is to be mapped to a target field of datatype SmallDatetime.

Any Suggestions

Thanks InAdvance
Attitude is everything....
us1aslam1us
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by us1aslam1us »

In the first case i think it will be a direct transformation but you need to check the target format. For the other one can use CAST function in the SQL to map the timestamp as smalldatetime .
I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.
Thomas Alva Edison(1847-1931)
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

What are the requirements for a 'SmallDateTime'? Meaning what does the data look like or need to look like? I'm familiar with the Oracle bits, but not SQL Server.

Also take a moment and Search the forums for 'smalldatetime' as I'm sure this (in some context) has been discussed before.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:idea: You might also want to specify what the actual problems are that you are having. Let us know what you've tried and if it "didn't work" tell us why. This helps us focus on solutions rather than shooting in the dark or repeating things you've already tried.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
just4geeks
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by just4geeks »

chulett wrote::idea: You might also want to specify what the actual problems are that you are having. Let us know what you've tried and if it "didn't work" tell us why. This helps us focus on solutions rather than shooting in the dark or repeating things you've already tried.
For first scenario
The date for the date column retrived via a DRS stage with Datatype Char and Data element SQL.SmallDateTime which is stored in an intermediate sequential file with the type Timestamp after performing few transformation it is written to the database.

the data stored in the sequential file is of the format "MM/DD/YYYY H:MI" The problem which I'm Facing here is if the date happen to be "01/06/2006 00:00" it is present in the file as "1/6/2006 0:00"

due to which i can't do substrings and retrive the date part only as the length would vary with the incoming date.

tried even Oconv(Iconv(DSLink75.ACCOUNTING_DT[1,10], "DYMD[2,2,2]"),"D-YMD[4,2,2]") it gives wrong answer

HOW DO I GET THE DATE AS "01/06/2006 00:00" In the Sequential file?
just4geeks
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by just4geeks »

I have created a dummy flat file where the data is of the format required and have used the following convert functn
Oconv(Iconv(DSLink75.ACCOUNTING_DT[1,10], "DYMD[2,2,2]"),"D-YMD[4,2,2]") and the applied a routine called to date which will convert the output into format "2005-06-29 00:00:00" checked the data by placing a sequential file it shows correct but while writing to the database i.e the Oracle table it seems to be writing with a value ACCOUNTING_DT = 22/0-/2-05 00:00:00 and throws an error " ORA-01843: not a valid month"

Please let me know what could be possibly wrong

Thanks In Advance
ganesh123
Participant

Post by ganesh123 »

Can you post the generated SQL ? Check the TO_DATE() in it.
If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning.
-- Aristotle Onassis
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

That means it never got created properly. Go ahead and capture the rejects and analyze the data of the rejected records.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
just4geeks
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by just4geeks »

DSguru2B wrote:That means it never got created properly. Go ahead and capture the rejects and analyze the data of the rejected records.
Well I have just a single row of data for testing purpose I analysed it by populating it into a sequential file the format which it gives is "1900-01-01 00:00:00" after all the transformations are done just before writing into the Oracle table. The job is running fine now without any errors or warnings but no data is populated in the table. Any clue why it must be so there is no user defined SQL attached. I'm using a DRS stage.

Thanks In Advance
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

That could only mean that your populating in one environment and looking at another? Or infact your updating instead of inserting a non-empty table.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
just4geeks
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by just4geeks »

DSguru2B wrote:That means it never got created properly. Go ahead and capture the rejects and analyze the data of the rejected records.
Thanks Alot DSguru for your suggestions.

the problem is resloved
For Scenario
the workaround solution was in one transformer I extract DSLink75.ACCOUNTING_DT[1,10] which would extract "1900-01-01" from the incoming date i.e. of type SmallDateTime i.e.
"1900-01-01 00:00"
then apply the ToDate routine in next transformer which would convert the date "1900-01-01" to "1900-01-01 00:00:00" and the data is populated to the tgt table

but here i found that if I perform this action in one transformer i.e. ToDate(DSLink75.ACCOUNTING_DT[1,10],'YYYY-MM-DD')
it sme how gives invalid month

if we retrive the data in the sequential file it gives the expected data but while writing to database it calcualtes wrongly

why so?? even if we use stage variable for the substring part and pass tht as the parameter to the ToDate routine yet the same issue.Any Clue why it must be like this?

For Scenario 2:

I merely applied substrings to the incoming data from Oracle database and it ran fine