ORCHESTRATE ERROR

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sudharma
Participant

ORCHESTRATE ERROR

Post by sudharma »

Hi Everyone,

I moved all my jobs from DEV to QA and i moved the DSParams from DV to QA and made proper settings for the Parameters on the QA Admin too.

i get this fatal Error when i run this job from the director.

node_node1: Fatal Error: Unable to start ORCHESTRATE process on node node1 (hctunx33): APT_PMPlayer::APT_PMPlayer: fork() failed, Resource temporarily unavailable

main_program: The Section Leader on node node1 has terminated unexpectedly.

node_node8: Fatal Error: Unable to start ORCHESTRATE process on node node8 (hctunx33): APT_PMPlayer::APT_PMPlayer: fork() failed, Resource temporarily unavailable

main_program: The Section Leader on node node8 has terminated unexpectedly.

main_program: Fatal Error: Unable to start ORCHESTRATE job: APT_PMwaitForPlayersToStart failed while waiting for players to confirm startup. This likely indicates a network problem. Status from APT_PMpoll is 0; node name is node1

I have 8 nodes on my QA box and i specified the MAximum as 8 nodes and the minimum as 2 nodes. but still i dont understand why i am fetting the ORCHESTRATE error. the last fatal log says that there is a network problem. can anyone hint me on this error so that i can contact my admin.

thanks
sudharma
sudharma
Participant

Post by sudharma »

my APT_PM_SHOW_PIDS is turned to false. i still dont know what king of network isses can cause this problem. i in touch with my ADMIN. i will keep you posted

thanks
sudharma
gbusson
Participant

Post by gbusson »

To my mind, this is not a network problem, but a ressource problem. Did you control that there is enough space in your swap?
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Do an exact search on 'fork() failed, Resource temporarily unavailable' to get a better understanding of the error message.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
sudharma
Participant

Post by sudharma »

Hi Guru,

i got this fixed . the MAXUPROC (Maximun Process per user ) was 128 in the QA Environment. Dev and Prod had 500. so we had to set this to 500 on QA and the issue is resolved now.

thanks a lot
sudharma
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Thanks for coming back with the resolution. :)
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
DSkkk
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSkkk »

Hi .. i was searching thru this error and got across this post. Can u please tell me where to set this MAXUPROC variable.

thanks in advance.
g.kiran
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's a UNIX kernel parameter. It's not called MAXUPROC on all variants of UNIX - you need to determine what the kernel parameter that sets your "maximum number of processes per user" is. Then you need to learn how superuser goes about changing it in that UNIX (which may require a re-boot of the UNIX machine).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Aquilis
Participant

Post by Aquilis »

[quote="sudharma"]Hi Guru,

i got this fixed . the MAXUPROC (Maximun Process per user ) was 128 in the QA Environment. Dev and Prod had 500. so we had to set this to 500 on QA and the issue is resolved now.

Hi all,
can anybody share that Kernel command with us for resetting MAXUPROC (Maximun Process per user ).

I am working on solaris :
-----------------------
Machine hardware: sun4us
OS version: 5.8
Aquilis