Change Data Capture

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vick
Participant

Change Data Capture

Post by vick »

Hello,

I have 2 sequential files with 6000 & 6500 records respectively. I need to do an upsert into Oracle Table. I have to capture the changes in the input files and set the flag namely Unchanged, Insert, Update or Delete.

This is what I m doing presently.

The input flat files are previous day & current day files and has 44 Columns. The Oracle Table has 45 columns (44 same as the input) with the operation_flag as the 45th. I want to populate Operation_Flag column with the Unchanged, Insert, Update, Delete Code (0,1,2,3).

Code: Select all

SeqFile1
        |
       CDC-Stage--------------------->Oracle_Ent_Stage
        |
  SeqFile2

Pl suggest

TIA
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

The CDC stage gives an extra column with the codes. You must be getting them, so whats the problem here. Just insert them. Or you want wordings instead of codes? If thats the case then stick in a transformer and change the codes to words.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
vick
Participant

Post by vick »

I m not getting the codes for DELETE n UPDATE.

I m getting '0' and '1' for Unchanged & Insert.

There are records in previous day file that does not exist in the current day file (which means its a delete but I dont get a code for that).

Any pointers
samsuf2002
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by samsuf2002 »

SET 'Drop output for Delete' = false in CDC so that u can capture deletes
hi sam here
vick
Participant

Post by vick »

That is exactly what I did.

I checked the files as well.

There is one record that exist in before file that is not in after file.

But it does not pull the delete code for some reason.

I also set the delete code in the option.

Any pointers?
us1aslam1us
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by us1aslam1us »

For testing purpose keep a copy or peek stage after the CDC stage and check the data.
I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.
Thomas Alva Edison(1847-1931)
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Is the delete record the first record in the file by any chance? If it is then make sure you have "First line is column name" to false.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Are you perhaps using customized code values and have chosen the same code value for two different diff cases?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
balajisr
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by balajisr »

Set Drop output to false for all(Insert,update,delete,copy) so that we can know the code of the deleted record.Also set log statistics to true and post the results.
vick
Participant

Post by vick »

thanks!

I have set Drop output to false for all(Insert,update,delete,copy) and set the log stats to true as well.

On the DSDesigner the performance stats show 6000(rows from before FILE) and 6500 (rows from after FILE) and the target Oracle stage shows 9688 rows.

But the DSDirector shows 1600 inserted, 8088 rejected & 0 updated.

Is it based on the key match criteria?

Pl suggest.

TIA
vick
Participant

Post by vick »

Thanks a lot folks.

I think I figured that. I was doing an upsert into the table, changed it to load---->append and this took care of the 8000 odd records that were being rejected. (I think I had the wrong SQL for Insert & Update which was rejecting records)

I resolved the issue with Delete code as well. Earlier I was not giving the Change Value----->Value (Column Values to be changed).

I now give the changes for all 44 columns and set Drop output to false for all(Insert,update,delete,copy) and set the log stats to true as well.

Again thanks a lot for all your inputs
vick
Participant

Post by vick »

The CDC stage I have currently works on the combination of 2 keys (ID & S_No)
when comparing the 2 files (previous day file & current day file).

I need to compare the files based on 2 sets of keys. For instance

ID & S_No is the first combination
ID & V_No is the second combination

Is it possible to do that in the same run or do I have to run it twice with different key combinations.

TIA
balajisr
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by balajisr »

Once your problem is solved set log statistics to false and remove unnecessary change codes.