Handle Timestamp null when inserting in OCI

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

CLOPES
Participant

Handle Timestamp null when inserting in OCI

Post by CLOPES »

Hi all,

Got a problem with Timestamp.
I read data from a dataset then join with datasets then go throught a transformer and then make an upsert into an Oracle table.

I have some columns that i have to check in the transformer.

If data_from_the_beginning is NULL
then
take_the_data_from_joiner (timestamp)
OR
stringtotimestamp(take_the_data_from_the_beginning) (varchar)

The problem is that sometimes i don't have data in these both columns and the OCI drop the rows telling me that take_the_data_from_joiner is NULL.
I want to insert into Oracle table even if there's no value and it seems that OCI stage want to convert null to timestamp even if there's no data.
How can i insert without losing my rows and put null into these timestamp columns if the columns are null ??
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Does your table accept NULL for the timestamp field? If you get rid of the database stage and load it to a flat file with the timestamp field set to null, can you load the data into a file?
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

What is the actual error that you get? And is your target Oracle field nullable or not?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
CLOPES
Participant

Post by CLOPES »

[quote="chulett"]What is the [i]actual error[/i] that you get? And is your target Oracle field [b]nullable[/b] or not?[/quote]

My error is something (because i'm at home) like the column from node 0 is NULL row is dropped.
The target is nullable yes
CLOPES
Participant

Post by CLOPES »

[quote="DSguru2B"]Does your table accept NULL for the timestamp field? If you get rid of the database stage and load it to a flat file with the timestamp field set to null, can you load the data into a file?[/quote]

if i put a flat file with link reject i can see these rows and there's nothing in these columns.
The column in the Oracle table is nullable.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

But is the field nullable in your metadata?

:!: And make sure you haven't checked the 'Disable BBCode in this post' option, that makes all your quoting / etc go a little wonky.
-craig

CLOPES
Participant

Post by CLOPES »

chulett wrote:But is the field nullable in your metadata?

:!: And make sure you haven't checked the 'Disable BBCode in this post' option, that makes all your quoting / etc go a little wonky.
Yes the field is nullable.
Thanks for the BBCode :wink:
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Thats odd. If you have it defined as nullable all accross and it still rejects it then that means something is missing. Double, triple check in all the input/output tabs of all the stages.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
CLOPES
Participant

Post by CLOPES »

The field is nullable everywhere in the stages and in Oracle too.
I have to check if fields are null or not and sometimes they are but the transformer reject the rows because the field is null.
I'm going crazy with this problem. Server Edition is easier to work with. :roll:

the message is that the column is null and there's a conversion problem.
I do not do conversion type for this column because it's already timestamp from a dataset. so the rows are dropped !!

DSguru2B wrote:Thats odd. If you have it defined as nullable all accross and it still rejects it then that means something is missing. Double, triple check in all the input/output tabs of all the stages.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Can you post the exact error message by copy pasting from the log.
CLOPES
Participant

Re: Handle Timestamp null when inserting in OCI

Post by CLOPES »

Resolved !

My problem was => too many stages and a trsfmr at the end that gone crazy.
Explication:

My job was
DS => colImport => 2 JOINs => TSFMR => OCI

The conversions type gone crazy in transformer so i create 3 jobs
One for the Joins
One for the tranformations
One for the Insert in Oracle Table

It work fine and last job deals fine with with null timestamps.

Thank you guys !!

CLOPES wrote:Hi all,

Got a problem with Timestamp.
I read data from a dataset then join with datasets then go throught a transformer and then make an upsert into an Oracle table.

I have some columns that i have to check in the transformer.

If data_from_the_beginning is NULL
then
take_the_data_from_joiner (timestamp)
OR
stringtotimestamp(take_the_data_from_the_beginning) (varchar)

The problem is that sometimes i don't have data in these both columns and the OCI drop the rows telling me that take_the_data_from_joiner is NULL.
I want to insert into Oracle table even if there's no value and it seems that OCI stage want to convert null to timestamp even if there's no data.
How can i insert without losing my rows and put null into these timestamp columns if the columns are null ??
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Thanks for posting the resolution. And I'll keep an eye out for the video... 'Transformers Gone Wild!'. :lol:
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

CLOPES wrote:conversions type gone crazy in transformer
That was a delightful piece of "Franglais"; thinking in French (or maybe Spanish, but that would make it "Spanglish") but communicating in English.

Aucune critique.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Great. Modularization always helps, especially for debuggin purposes.