DB2 Abort

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

DB2 Abort

Post by Raftsman »

If a DS job is inserting records into a DB2 table and the DB2 Connect suddenly aborts causing records to get thrown out back to the last commit. Is there a way to restart the job, starting from the last commit and how can I determine where the job should restart from. Some posts tell me to keep track of the records written but if it aborts in the middle, how would I know the committed count.

Thanks
Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raftsman »

We are loading a DB2 on the mainframe. It is not loaded in parallel, it is loaded sequentially. I don't know if this make a difference. I hope another client has faced the same dilemma and does have a solution because i can't find a documented answer.
csrazdan
Participant

Post by csrazdan »

We have been following up with IBM for some time to implement LOAD TERMINATE functionality in DB2EE stage. This functionality is available in DB2 native utility where if the load fails, LOAD TERMINATE will undo the changes and make load restartable. DataStage used to leave table in unstabe state if the load failed. IBM provided a patch for that but LOAD TERMINATE is still not available.

As suggested above till LOAD TERMINATE is available you can use CDC stage to make the load restartable.
Assume everything I say or do is positive
Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raftsman »

If we know that DB2 commits every 2000 records, do you think it's possible to keep the 2000th record in a temp file and replace it every commit. If the system aborts, DB2 will rollback to the last commit, we now have the committed record in a temp file, could we not move forward from there.

Just a thought, any comments.
Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raftsman »

I marked this as resolved because this issue cannot be resolved at this point

Thanks