How to Export a job which has a message handler.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rajan.n
Premium Member
Premium Member

How to Export a job which has a message handler.

Post by rajan.n »

HI all,
i have a job with a Job level message handler which controls the warning message.

now i want to export the job to another project ,
i have exported job, the issue is unable to compile( says no message handler found)
can any one pls sujjest how to export the job with that message handler.

thanks much in advance.
rajan.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Two options.
1. Move the whole DSParam file from you project to the new project.
2. Director -- > Message Handlers --> Save.
And move this file to the new server to the respective folder.
Search the forum, it has been dealt previously.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
rajan.n
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rajan.n »

Hi Kumar
thanks a lot for ur reply,
what i understood from ur reply is need to export DSParam,
can u pls tell me where can i get this DSParam,
thanks for ur reply.
rajan.

kumar_s wrote:Two options.
1. Move the whole DSParam file from you project to the new project.
2. Director -- > Message Handlers --> Save.
And move this file to the new server to the respective folder.
Search the forum, it has been dealt previously.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

DSParams is the file that holds all the parameters for the project. It will be under the project folder. You need to check if it exist for Job level Message handler. You may need to follow the other approach.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
rajan.n
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rajan.n »

Hi kumar ,
thankyou once again,
am sorry to say ,i didnt find any such folder named with project. where can i see this.can u pls let me know in detail.
thanks in advance.
rajan.
kumar_s wrote:DSParams is the file that holds all the parameters for the project. It will be under the project folder. You need to check if it exist for Job level Message handler. You may need to follow the other a ...
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Inside your project folder, where you have &PH& and &COMO& folders, you will have another file by the name DSParams. Kumar is referring to that folder.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Open the Adminstrator, Go to the project tab, and select the project. Underneath it, you ll find Project Pathname. That is the directory that I was referring to.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Local run-time message handlers are stored in the RT_SCnnnn subdirectory in the project, where nnnn is the job number. I have no information ready to hand as to whether these are exported with the job, with the job executables and/or with the job source code. If it is not, copy the file called Local.msh into the RT_SCnnnn subdirectory for the job in the new project.

Named message handlers are server-wide so, if you're moving to a new project on the same server, you need to do nothing; the named message handlers are available automatically to all projects.

To migrate a named message handler called Fred to a different server machine, cd to the DataStage home directory ($DSHOME) then cd to ../MsgHandlers. In that directory you will find a file called Fred.msh, which you need to copy to the MsgHandlers directory on the other server.

DSParams file is not involved.
&PH& is not involved.
&COMO& is not involved.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Sorry some how DSParams got into my mind. :oops:
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I never said &PH& and &COMO& folders are involved. I merely mentioned the names of these folders as they are present in the Project directory as well. Their mention was merely for directory mark (from land mark :))
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Besides why would anyone want to move the whole DSParams file? The values in this file usually change from DEV to TEST to PROD. Examples would be the config files. You might have a 2 node in DEV and a 8 node in TEST and 16 in PROD.
Mamu Kim
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Kim, As I mentioned, that was my mistake to mention DSPararms instead of Local.msh.
rajan.n
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rajan.n »

Hi all..
Sorry for the long silence.
@ray,
i found RT_snXX and i can see the message handler for that job , this is fine thnx a lot.

am little confused with this, when i copied the same file to the other project, how can one job gets that message handler , do we need to create a message handler with the same name..?

thnanks once again for the help.
rajan.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The xxx part of the directory name RT_SCxxx is the job number from DS_JOBS. You must emplace Local.msh into the correct directory for that job.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rajan.n
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rajan.n »

ray.wurlod wrote:The xxx part of the directory name RT_SCxxx is the job number from DS_JOBS. You must emplace Local.msh into the correct directory for that job. ...
Hi all,
my problem solved.
there is a folder name MsgHandler in the project directory , need to copy the relevent .msh file and paste in the another project, in the same MsgHandler folder. then the job which is exported with a message handler will allow u to compile and the message handler works fine.

thanks all of u for ur kind responces.
Rajan