dslockd issue

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

info_ds
Charter Member
Charter Member

dslockd issue

Post by info_ds »

Hi All,

I have dslockd.config enabled in the datastage server and writes a log entry in dslockd.log.The problem is the old phantoms are not being released even though the dslockd is running .Can you please tell me what would be the reason for this and why the dslockd is not able to clear the phantoms.

Comments appreciated
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

What is the timer value set in dsdlockd config file?
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
info_ds
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by info_ds »

the timer value is 900 seconds
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hope the value of Start = 1.
You can try to execute $DSHOME/bin/dsdlockd -p with super user to kill the dead locks.
You can as well reduce the timer. Else you can find the left out process and kill using Kill command or from DS.TOOLS.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
info_ds
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by info_ds »

Hi Kumar,

We can clear the phantoms using kill or DS.TOOLS ,but question is why the dslockd is not able to clear the phantoms when it is running properly?

Do you have any idea?
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Perhaps I ll wait till Ray or Kenneth or some one to give more details. Because it happened to me in my previous site, where I often bounce the server to avoid all this issues. As atleast I should clear up all the locks before bouncing.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

dsdlockd does not kill processes (phantoms).
It merely clears locks held by defunct or non-existent processes.
Hence the "lock" as part of its name.

The licensing tool ($DSHOME/bin/dslictool) can be used to recover licensing, and may allow defunct processes to die, but that's not guaranteed either.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
info_ds
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by info_ds »

Thanks ray.

We have 20 days old phantoms(defunct processes) which are left by the datastage jobs.
Do you mean to say that the dslockd will not clear the phantoms left by the datastage jobs?

Is manual intervention the only solution for this?

Thanks in advance
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Have you tried the other suggested option of executing the lisciese tool "dslictool"?
splayer
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by splayer »

info_ds, can you tell me what you mean by "old phantoms"? How did they get created? Are these processes from Datastage jobs and jobs got hung or locked in some way?
info_ds
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by info_ds »

Hi splayer,

The jobs got hung and the phantoms has been created .The dslockd.config is not able to clear the phantoms.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

... because that's not what it does.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

So its only for dead locks. But will the phanthom exist without any locks? I mean, wont it die by itself if there is no lock held with any other process. Is it kind of zombie process?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A zombie doesn't need to have any Repository locks, neither does a background process. It can simply be unable to die because it is unable to notify its (killed) parent.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

So this could be zombie which should be eliminated only through KILL command. Because this may not even report in DS.TOOLS.