More column in RCP and less column in Target?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dsdoubt
Participant

More column in RCP and less column in Target?

Post by dsdoubt »

Hi,
We are trying to use RCP.
Kindly let me know, What happens when more column transfered from source through RCP, but less column avaialble in target table?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It depends on many factors. Rather than try to canvas them all here, why not try what you have in mind, and report the results back to this thread?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

Many Factors !!??
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes, for example RCP must be enabled in Adminstrator then, even if it is, can be enabled/disabled on a per-stage basis in the processing stream. Is the stage type amenable to using a schema file and, if so, is it? Will that get you going?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dsdoubt
Participant

Post by dsdoubt »

My concern is not to enable or disable it. If RCP is enabled, and If I use schema file, which has more columns (by chance) and if the target table as less number of columns in that job... Will it error out or will the columns found in last will be sielently discarded or will the system collapse.
We are in design phase, and dont have frequent access to Datastage to test it.
So kindly let me know guys.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

GET access. That's the only way to test things.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Database like DB2 / Oracle has the option to specify "Silently Drop the unavailable column". Enabling this, should help to avoid the errors poping up when source fields are not available in Target tables.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Or a system collapse. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

Oh!!

From the question raised, I just took that the RCP is enabled until the stage level.

So I will go with kumar_s's answer.