DataStage config files.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

videsh77
Premium Member
Premium Member

DataStage config files.

Post by videsh77 »

We come across different kinds of configuration files in DataStage, such as dsenv, uvconfig, default.apt, DSParams.

Can someone explain me what is their main intention, & what is their scope (project wide or server wide)?

I believe each project must have its own default.apt which is referred by APT_CONFIG_FILE in DS Admin & DSParams are essential for project level.
Thanks with regards,
videsh.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

dsenv contains environment variables. For more info refer to the DataStage help manuals that are shipped with the product.
uvconfig file contains configuration parameters for the DataStage engine.
default.apt file will point towards the configuration file for parallel jobs. This is set by APT_CONFIG_FILE environment variable. It can be project wide. Its value can also be overwritten on a per job basis.
DSParams contains the default values of the environment variables specified in the DataStage Administrator. It also has prototypes for different functions. Even this file is project wide.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

dsenv is a shell script executed by all DataStage processes. It contains whatever you care to put in it. Typically it is used to set environment variable values, but I've also seen other commands in there, for example umask.

.odbc.ini contains definitions of ODBC data sources.

The above two files do not occur on Windows servers.

uvconfig contains configuration parameters that primarily determine the structure of the system, or disk, shared memory segment when DataStage is started, for example the sizes of the in-memory tables such as lock tables, dynamic hashed file table, and so on. This file is "compiled" by the uvregen command.

Each DataStage server comes with a default.apt as a two-node parallel job configuration file, and the APT_CONFIG_FILE environment file default is to point to this file. Other configuration files can be (should be) created in the $DSHOME/../Configurations directory so that different parallelism options can be effected. Every parallel job should carry $APT_CONFIG_FILE as an environment variable so as to be able to select among these options.
Note that there is only one set of parallel jobs configuration files on the DataStage server - not a separate set per project.

DSParams records the functions and system variables available to the expression editor, some of the global settings made by the Administrator (such as default log purge settings) and environment variables defined in the Administrator client.

uvodbc.config exists in each account (project) to specify which ODBC data sources are to be visible from this project. It can also contain entries to override the default maximum number of columns in a SELECT statement and the maximum number of bytes in a result set row.

dsdlockd.config (in $DSHOME directory) configures whether the deadlock daemon should be started automatically when DataStage starts and how it should deal with any deadlocks detected in a Repository database.

uci.config can be used to specify overrides for defaults when using the BASIC SQL Client Interface or the UniVerse Call Interface.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Its the power of DS EEE. Configurable items can be exploited. It doesn't require the restart of the server (in most cases) or re compile of the job.
DSEngine is built in a generic form, and it should be configured to each site (with respect to the OS and Hardware availability).
Config file used to give the constraints on the hardware directly.
uvconfig controls the UV on which the DSEngine runs.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
videsh77
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by videsh77 »

DSguru2B wrote:dsenv contains environment variables. For more info refer to the DataStage help manuals that are shipped with the product.
Hi DSGuru,

Will I get detailed information regarding those files in a PDF for DataStage Administrator / Parjdev / advpx ?
Thanks with regards,
videsh.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

My answer was very detailed. For about 3c per day you can purchase premium membership, help to pay for the bandwidth this site needs, and read all the premium posts plus get access to other premium membership goodies.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

videsh77 wrote: Hi DSGuru,

Will I get detailed information regarding those files in a PDF for DataStage Administrator / Parjdev / advpx ?
videsh77, It won't get more detailed than what Ray has provided. A very precise, to the point answer. He was kind enough to describe some other config files like uvodbc.config and dsdlockd.config.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
videsh77
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by videsh77 »

Thanks, it helps Ray.
Thanks with regards,
videsh.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Good to see that you become Premium Member. :D
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
videsh77
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by videsh77 »

Yaa, without that I felt like the blind man, hitting tall pillars :roll:
Thanks with regards,
videsh.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Trust me, its all well worth it. Welcome aboard, again :wink: .