SIGINT while accessing SQL Server DB via ODBC Enterprise

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Bill_G
Premium Member
Premium Member

SIGINT while accessing SQL Server DB via ODBC Enterprise

Post by Bill_G »

we experienced a production issue this morning where some of our jobs that are extracting data from SQL Server via the ODBC Enterprise Stage seem to hang - others connecting to the same DB run to completion. For the jobs that are hanging, I am unable to view data via the ODBC stage (Designer becomes unresponsive). I am also unable to import metadata via manager- again it becomes unresponsive.

I have checked permissions on the tables and I don't see any issues. The application DBA has assured me that nothing has changed in the tables or on the DB configuration.

I am not getting any errors or warnings. We have bounced the ETL server to no avail. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bill
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Try disabling the job monitor (APT_NO_JOBMON) to see whether it's the source of the signals.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Bill_G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Bill_G »

Sorry Ray, I copied the title from a email section and didn't check before I posted. The SIGINT occurs only when we kill the job after it hangs while trying to extract data from SQL Server.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is the behaviour consistent? That is, is it always the same jobs/queries that hang? Have you tried executing the same queries using a client other than DataStage, but from the DataStage server machine? Have you employed the test/diagnostic tools that are in the branded_odbc directory?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Bill_G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Bill_G »

The behavior is consistent for the same tables - works for some others it does not. I looked at the diagnostic tools in the branded_odbc directory, but I have not been successful in getting it to work. I did find that the server itself was physically moved from one frame to another the night before our problems arose.
Bill_G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Bill_G »

Ray,

Have you had success employing the diagnostic tools? it looks as if it requires me to run a script to create a table on my db. Is that how you have used the tool?

Thanks for the replies.

Bill
Bill_G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Bill_G »

Also I turned tracing on, the last few lines look like this:

ppid=4083:pid=4 ff8:b75f52a0 EXIT SQLFetch with return code 0 (SQL_SUCCESS)
HSTMT 0x0863dda8

ppid=4083:pid=4 ff8:b75f52a0 ENTER SQLFetch
HSTMT 0x0863dda8

ppid=4083:pid=4 ff8:b75f52a0 EXIT SQLFetch with return code 0 (SQL_SUCCESS)
HSTMT 0x0863dda8

ppid=4083:pid=4 ff8:b75f52a0 ENTER SQLFetch
HSTMT 0x0863dda8

It never receives the reply from the server to exit the fetch.