Stored Procedure and Environment

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vijayrc
Participant

Stored Procedure and Environment

Post by vijayrc »

Hi,
I have a Stored Procedure stage for DB2. In this stage I have to pass Data Source which can be Unit Test environment [XXXX] or System Test environment[YYYY] or Production environment[ZZZZ]

These XXXX/YYYY/ZZZZ are hard-coded values now.

When I move this Job from one environment say from one Test Environemnt [YYYY] to Production environment[ZZZZ] How would I go about chaning this...

Any direction/help on this is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Vijay
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Parametrize it. Pass it as a parameter to your stored procedure.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
vijayrc
Participant

Post by vijayrc »

DSguru2B wrote:Parametrize it. Pass it as a parameter to your stored procedure.
I have an User defined Environemnt variable [$RUNMODE] which is referenced as Job Parameter, and I'm using $RUNMODE in Data Source tab, but it's not resolving giving me the following:-

SP_CDDM,0: Error: [IBM][CLI Driver] SQL1013N The database alias name or database name "$RUNMODE" could not be found. SQLSTATE=42705

I have given $RUNMODE = DDB3 in the Job Properties and this value [DDB3] is what I want in the tab Data Source

Thanks again for replying on this.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

How are you parametrizing it. Make sure you surround it with hashes. Plus you need to give the instance name for Data Source.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
vijayrc
Participant

Post by vijayrc »

DSguru2B wrote:How are you parametrizing it. Make sure you surround it with hashes. Plus you need to give the instance name for Data Source. ...
Tried using #$RUNMODE#; #RUNMODE# and other options, but no good :(
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

If you hardcode the value. Does it work fine?
vijayrc
Participant

Post by vijayrc »

DSguru2B wrote:If you hardcode the value. Does it work fine?
Yes...Hardcoding works...But I'm trying to find a way to make it work when it moves from one environment to another...say from TEST to PROD.
kiranmarathe
Participant

Post by kiranmarathe »

This is how we have done it with ORACLE..
1. we have created parameter text file which contains oracle userid/password (encrypted) and ServerID (connection string)
2. a unix script is used to extract this 3 data elements from parameter file and pass as parameters to the datastage job
3. in datastage, 3 parameters are used to connect to the database. If we need to run it from designer, then we need to enter the userid/password/SID at run time in parameters box... (we can also set it as default parameters).
In DS, the parameters will be regular parameters e.g. ORA_USER, ORA_PASS, ORA_SID..

So when we move from DEV to QA or PROD, we simple copy the parameter file and modify it for database parameters accordingly.

hth,
kiran
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

You should be able to use the parameters. I am not a big fan of making all parameters as environment variables, but I test it out in a dummy job and it works here. How did you define the environment variable in the first place?
Go to the job properties, click on "Add environment variables", hit on new and define the variable. It will work, works for many of us.
vijayrc
Participant

Post by vijayrc »

DSguru2B wrote:You should be able to use the parameters. I am not a big fan of making all parameters as environment variables, but I test it out in a dummy job and it works here. How did you define the environment variable in the first place?
Go to the job properties, click on "Add environment variables", hit on new and define the variable. It will work, works for many of us.
If the User Defined environment variable is $RUNMODE how do I use it in DataSource tab to take the values of $RUNMODE
Tried the following..
#$RUNMODE#
#RUNMODE#
Doesn't work...Does that mean someother variable @ project level has to be set...
I get this msg: Invalid argument value. SQLSTATE=HY009
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

First option for environment variable and second for just the job parameter. Try this, just specify a job parameter and see if that works.
vijayrc
Participant

Post by vijayrc »

DSguru2B wrote:First option for environment variable and second for just the job parameter. Try this, just specify a job parameter and see if that works. ...
Thanks a ton DSguru2B. You are a DSguru already to me :)
It worked atlast using Job Parameter . Thanks again

Defined Env variable, and assigning to Job Parameter and using Job Parameter in the stage and this works...Thanks