Running DS from within an MKS Tools environment

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

boxtoby
Premium Member
Premium Member

Running DS from within an MKS Tools environment

Post by boxtoby »

Guys,

Does anyone know if it is possible to run DS, EE or Server, from within an MKS Tools environment?

I am using MKS Tools to provide a unix environment on a windows platform. I should also state that this is for investigation purposes, not true development etc.

Thanks,

Bob.
Bob Oxtoby
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I don't really understand your "from within an MKS Tools environment" statement. You might want to expand on that a wee bit.

DataStage for Windows ships with the MKS Toolkit nowadays, so that you can leverage it and do 'UNIX things' on your Windows Server. If that's what you mean by 'running from within' then yes, you can.

Somehow, I don't think that's what you meant. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

This is precisely how version 7.5x2 works - it doesn't really run on Windows; it installs MKS Toolkit and runs on that.

But I believe it's the only version that works that way.

Craig: there's a trick you can use to impress your clients. Open up a CMD shell, enter sh as a command (the UNIX prompt appears!) and then do something UNIX, such as the man grep command. Blows 'em away! Type exit to return to the DOS shell (Ctrl-D does not seem to be recognized).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

So, the MKS Toolkit in essence creates something like a 'virtual' UNIX environment and everything actually runs in that environment? Interesting... I guess 'toolkit' is a little bit of a misnomer.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

's a product name - can't avoid that. Original intention was to provide a UNIX tool set on Windows - folks (and Ascential engineers) just took it to another level.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yah, kinda figured. Thing is I've used it in the past for DOS and early Windows when it was truly just a toolkit. My, how she has grown in all these years I've been away. :wink:
-craig

boxtoby
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by boxtoby »

Thanks, guys!

Easier than I thought.
Bob Oxtoby