Accessing CSV files on local drive

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

travissolt
Participant

Accessing CSV files on local drive

Post by travissolt »

Is there a way to access a CSV file on my local drive without FTP'n it into the UNIX environment.
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

Open it Microsoft Excel.
travissolt
Participant

Post by travissolt »

Sorry should have been more specifc. I want to bring in a csv file as a source table in datastage but do not want to have to FTP it to unix first. Can datastage (unix setup) read csv or txt files off of a local drive.

Thanks
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

Is there any restrictions on FTP? or its just that you dont want to add an extra step.

If there are no restrictions on FTP then you can use the FTP plugin stage to read the remote file
ganesh123
Participant

Post by ganesh123 »

No its not possible becoz your server software is loaded on Unix box. So you have to FTP to unix.

On your local machine there is only client part.
If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning.
-- Aristotle Onassis
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

OH. You you want to pick files from your client machine. Just like you open a testpad or something?

I dont think thats possible
travissolt
Participant

Post by travissolt »

When I used Informatica I could point to a table locally and bring it in as a source (say for an initial population or test load). I could also access the unix side if I wanted to store an output file. Just making datastage did or did not have the same functionality before I went down the FTP path.
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

convert your client installation to server and you will have this functionality.

Its just that you cant access local files on the client machine unless you FTP it to the server.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Your UNIX-based DataStage server needs to be able to 'see' your local drive in order to access files on it. You'd need to arrange an NFS mount or use something like Samba to enable that.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
travissolt
Participant

Post by travissolt »

So the functionality is there it just needs to be setup. Is that something each user would have to establish or will the DBA's need to set it up on the box? If I sent your previous post to the DBA's would it give them enough info to figure it out.
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

It would be more of an 'SA' thing rather than a 'DBA'.
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is this for a parallel job (as marked) or a server job (as posted)?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
travissolt
Participant

Post by travissolt »

I would want to access the file in a parallel job (i think that is your question)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

... then why did you post in the Server forum?

Craig covered the possibilities; either use an FTP stage or use a facility like Samba that makes your Windows folders visible to your UNIX machine (as if they were mounted there) or vice versa.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.