How to eliminate the thicked pipeline |

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

venkycool
Participant

How to eliminate the thicked pipeline |

Post by venkycool »

Hi Everyone,

I just wondering why the thicked pipeline | which appears after the text in my target ODBC. For eg:

my target record should appear like :

TF tfr plnt to plnt

But, in the target the thicked pipeline is added like

TF tfr plnt to plnt | (in bold)

Can anybody let me know how to elimate that pipeline which is appearing after the text record in some of the columns in the Target ODBC.

Thanks in Advance...
khaja.arshad
Participant

Post by khaja.arshad »

Try to remove any spaces while doing concating any strings

Or

It might be from extra size of the field

-----
Hameed
venkycool
Participant

Post by venkycool »

Hi,

if this is because of the extra size in the field then why it is appearing only in few columns where all the fields are of the same length? and also tried with the space as u said... Also tried with all the necessary string manipulation. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

How are you populating the table?
Check the source data that used to populate the data. Check if any transformation logic involved which appends any special character or a space or newline character or tab character at the end of it.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
venkycool
Participant

Reading data from source text file

Post by venkycool »

In the transformations, I am doing the TrimLeadingTrailing to all the records and this is the only logic am doing. But, since I mentioned it is giving the thicked pipeline only in few columns not in all the columns.
khaja.arshad
Participant

Post by khaja.arshad »

Where you are viewing the data ? in DS or in Database?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Put in a Peek stage and use it to grab a sample of rows into a file. Then use a hex editor to find out the ASCII code of the character in question.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
venkycool
Participant

Post by venkycool »

am viewing the data is Datastage only....that is SQL (DRS)
venkycool
Participant

Post by venkycool »

yeah will try the same and this is the solution or will check for the thicked pipeline?
khaja.arshad
Participant

Post by khaja.arshad »

try to see the results in database ...if it is ok in database ..then i don't think it's an issue ...if it is ok in DB ....In DS increase the column the width(dragging the width ) where u view the data

----
Hameed
balajisr
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by balajisr »

What is your source?
Check if you have any special characters in the source.
venkycool
Participant

Post by venkycool »

My Source is Sequential File (Flat file). Anyways, I will try increasing the width and see...and get back to u guys...thanks
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Does this happen in the source as well (in the sequential file stage view data)? If it does then its a dos file that you are viewing as a unix file. Change it to dos style in the sequential file stage properties so that it does not transfer it over to the database.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

If you have Contol M's in your fields, they look like "thicked pipes" when viewed from the stages in Datastage.
Trim before loading.
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
venkycool
Participant

Post by venkycool »

Hey Brian, that worked man and now i dont see any thicked pipeline in my target... as i changed the format as the dos style in Seq File stage properties...thanks alot and this happened with few of my jobs and will put the same for those jobs also....thanks you guys for your response...