Issue with Change Capture Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

poorna_76
Charter Member
Charter Member

Issue with Change Capture Stage

Post by poorna_76 »

I have data coming from Teradata table as Before DataSet.
I have data in a DataSet as After DataSet.
I am trying to do a change capture.

When I run the job for the first time, Before DataSet is empty, and the change_code is 1 and job gives me the records to be inserted.

The issue is, when I rerun the same job immediately without any changes, the change_code is 3 for all the records,indicating a change in the records.

What am I missing here?

I have specified change mode as Explicit Keys -All Values.
There is only 1 key column in my data and the rest of them are value columns.

Thanks in Advance.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What are you doing with the records downstream of the Change Capture stage? In particular, are any records loaded into the Teradata table (thereby to become a populated "before" data set)?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

I guess, its your output dataset points to the After Dataset as input, and hence it might be showing as Copy.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
poorna_76
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by poorna_76 »

ray.wurlod wrote:What are you doing with the records downstream of the Change Capture stage? In particular, are any records loaded into the Teradata table (thereby to become a populated "before" data set)?
Ray,

I have a transformer after Change Capture Stage.
From the transformer i 2 links going out.
The first link with constraint "change_code = 1" for new records.
The second link with constraint "change_code = 3" for modified/update records.

I am merging these 2 links using a funnel stage and loading back(doing Upsert) to the same Teradata table.

The issue still remains the same.

Thanks in advance.
poorna_76
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by poorna_76 »

kumar_s wrote:I guess, its your output dataset points to the After Dataset as input, and hence it might be showing as Copy.
Kumar,

In my change Capture Change stage, i had specified the drop option to True for the copy.

So i should not be getting any records out of the Change Capture stage,
when the records are exact copies.

But still i am getting all the records back , with change_code = 3, indicating change in the records.

The issue still remains the same.

Thanks in Advance
balajisr
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by balajisr »

Is your metadata for the input of before and after datasets in the change capture stage same?
Are you doing any transformation in the transformer after the change capture stage?
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi Poorna,
What is the data in After DataSet? Is it the updated output or copy of merged output from funnel?
Do you have any date field from table getting generated at runtime during load or something??So that every time you get updated time, and the data found to be changed?
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
pavan007
Participant

change capture

Post by pavan007 »

There must be some transformation happening after the output from transformer,check for the NULL values and how you are handling in before and after datasets.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

First isolate the problem. Remove a couple columns at a time and rerun the job until you identify the column or columns that is triggering the change. Examine the contents of that column via a DataStage View editor and, if you can, via a different viewer such as a SQL window. DataStage can add some funny null characters to fields, especially when you change CHAR to VARCHAR.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Probably the other way, Varchar to Char. :)