Doubt in the execution of jobs in sequencer

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vij
Participant

Doubt in the execution of jobs in sequencer

Post by vij »

Hi all,

I have a doubt in the execution of jobs in the sequencer - I created one sequencer which has the following structure:
Job1 ---> Job5

Job2 ---> Job6

Job3 ---> Job7

Job4 ---> Job8
Here Jobs 1 to 4 will run in parallel, independent to each other and Job 5 till 8 is based on the result of the previous jobs.

The problem which I face is, after the failure of the Job 2, the sequencer gets aborted and didnt run the jobs, job 5 or job 7 or job 8, even though the respective jobs ie., job 1, job 3 and job 4 ran successful.

Is my understanding wrong or do I miss anything? Please advice me!

Thanks!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Are you telling us what actually happened, or what you think will happen?

Your job sequence (note, not "sequencer") has no Exception Handler nor any Terminator activity, so why should a failure of Job2 affect Jobs 5, 7 and 8?

Do you have "automatically handle activities that fail" checked? Read the help associated with this check box, and see if that clarifies your understanding.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

If the Sequence job aborts, you are done. Why did it abort?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

Also, look into what trigger you have specified for Job2.
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
vij
Participant

Post by vij »

Thanks for all your reply, I am telling a something which had happend when I ran the sequencer.

The sequencer got aborted, because the Job2, which I have already specified had encountered a fatal error, due to space issue.

My doubt was - As Job 2 failed, it should not trigger Job6 , but as other jobs such as - Job1 , Job3 and Job4 ran successful and should not these jobs trigger their respective other jobs such as Job5 , Job7 and Job8 ??
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

You haven't answered for the question asked. What is the status of "automatically handle activities that fail"?
As soon as the job2 is aborted, the abort signal will be sent to Master sequence, and the same forced the rest of the jobs to abort. But by the time the signal sent to JobSequnce, the Job1, Job3 and Job4 might have finished.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'