infra structure documentation

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

fmartinsferreira
Participant

infra structure documentation

Post by fmartinsferreira »

I have 3 DataStage servers and no infra structure documentation.
I need to make the documentation now, I never make this kind of
documentation and I thinking to start by something like:

DataStageServer1

1 - Hardware
20GB RAM
900GB HD

2 - Projects: a
b
c

2.1 - Project a
I - uvconfig
II - configuration file(.apt)
III - Jobs
* 200 server - 130 read from file and write to DB2 ...
* 30 parallel
IV - ???

3 - Environment variables

4 - ??

What do you think?
Does anyone already make a documentation like that?
Any suggestion ?

Regards,

Fernando
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Under hardware include number and speed of CPUs. If you are in a cluster/grid environment, separate information may be required for each machine. If in a grid, some extra information about grid management also.

Do you do everything in memory or do you have some disk? If you have some disk, how much of it is local and how much in SAN? What kind of SAN? How is the SAN partitioned?

I don't really think that your DataStage environments are properly classified as infrastructure. If they are, then you will need to record each and every database/data source connection also, and how they are configured.

What other applications demand resources from these machines? If you can document competitors for resources, it may help to resolve future bottleneck issues.

What monitoring tools are available and what operating system, database, network, etc., monitoring is actually done? Where are the results kept? What analyses are performed? Trends and forecasts?

My $0.02 worth.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
fmartinsferreira
Participant

Post by fmartinsferreira »

ray.wurlod wrote:Under hardware include number and speed of CPUs. If you are in a cluster/grid environment, separate information may be required for each machine. If in a grid, some extra information about grid mana ...
Thanks Ray!