problem with wrapped rows

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kirankota79
Premium Member
Premium Member

problem with wrapped rows

Post by kirankota79 »

Hi,

I have an issue with my data. I am getting a huge (1.5gb) datafile from mainframe box to unix machine and then from unix machine to windows machine where my datastage server is located. since we have some issues getting file from mainframe to windows (datastage) directly, we have include unix machine in the path.

So the thing is when i get the file, some rows in the file are wrapped in to 2 rows and unix is introducing the new line character while transferring to windows machine for the wrapped rows. I dont want that.

But we have tested a sample 12 record file that we got directly from mainframe box through email to windows and even the some rows are wrapped, it is not introducing the new line characters and the datastage is able to read it.

Can u please tell me the solution for it.

kota.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Get the file ftp'd in ASCII mode. This will ensure that the correct line terminator will be present for each platform.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
kirankota79
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kirankota79 »

i have done that, but the problem is, it is introduing the CR/LF for the wrapped rows also. I tried both in ascii and binary mode. The rows are of fixed length of 3000 chracters. but the some rows are getting wrapped in to 2 rows with around 1500 characters each.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Is it just some rows displaying this behaviour or all the rows?
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
kirankota79
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kirankota79 »

only for some rows
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Then that means you are having line feeds within your data. Report this back to the Mainframe folks.
timsmith_s
Participant

Post by timsmith_s »

Confirm that the field doent have nested cr/lf - might be a memo field or the like
kirankota79
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kirankota79 »

but, why i don't have this problem when i get the sample file directly from mainframe through e-mail?
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Well then there must be something going wrong during the ftp. Are you sure your doing an ASCII ftp both from mainframe to unix and then from unix to windows.
timsmith_s
Participant

Post by timsmith_s »

Are you transferring the file using NDM to do the transfer? Verify that it does not have a predefined line length.
timsmith_s
Participant

Post by timsmith_s »

Favor - please explain the specific details of the file transfer. You are using native ftp? you are transfering the file as binary or ascii?

You might consider do a binary transfer and then using the UNIX tr comman to translate control-characters. Thoughts?