Multiple Datastage engines

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

gup
Premium Member
Premium Member

Multiple Datastage engines

Post by gup »

I am in the process of setting up a new Datastage environment , all on the Linux platform. I will have a Dev, QA and two production servers. Since we will be installing Enterprise Edition, we wanted to take advantage of installing and running multiple instances of Datastage on the Linux platform. Maybe one engine for each Business Unit, something like that, instead of just running one engine.

I cannot seem to find any documentation or best practices in any of the doc I have - does anyone have a good source on how to best configure for this senario -- is it possible? IBM stated it is possible -

Matt
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Multiple Datastage engines

Post by DSguru2B »

gup wrote: IBM stated it is possible -
Is that all that IBM said? Is that all you accepted from IBM?
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It is possible, but not because it's Enterprise Edition. You can install multiple versions of Server Edition also.

But why do you think there's a need to? And - I suspect - IBM will want to get licensing revenue from each of them.

The magic word here is "-itag". You install different engines with a different "itag", which primarily allocates different shared memory keys. The default itag is "ade".

You can read about this technique in the Installation and Upgrade manual. There may even be some posts here.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
gup
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gup »

Sorry for the late response - was out most of this week.

I got the info from IBM in regards to how to setup multiple engines on a Linux box - it is pretty easy. We had a need to run multiple engines due to some projects with RED data , and also isolating different development groups - seems to be working rather well.

If anyone needs info on setting up multiple instances, I have some doc.

Matt