Version Control: How do you do at your place

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vijayrc
Participant

Version Control: How do you do at your place

Post by vijayrc »

Hi,
Please help me out with Version Control.
As per IBM,DS-VC isn't that helpful, and most of them use PVCS/VSS etc for Version Control. How do you guyz do at your shop? Also If a team member has made a change in a Job, how would another member know what EXACT change the other person has made. Is there a compare utility or something in that line. Pls guide me in this aspect, if you have encountered/enforced Version Control in your place. :!: :?: :idea:
Thanks in advance
Vijay
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Vijay,
did IBM recommend VSS/PVCS for DataStage? If so, you should ask them exactly how they implemented it. These systems use "check in" and "check out" of objects (usually source files). Since DataStage uses a database to store jobs it is not directly possible to use these classical source control systems. Jobs need to be exported / imported as do other DataStage entities such as routines and shared containers. The DataStage import/export mechanisms are rather crude and do not lend themselves to automated (or even semi-automated) procedures to move things between DS and a versioning system.

At present the DS version control system remains the only solution not requiring a LOT of programming and maintenance (Version 8 notwithstanding, which doesn't have this functionality)
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Version Control: How do you do at your place

Post by chulett »

vijayrc wrote:As per IBM,DS-VC isn't that helpful, and most of them use PVCS/VSS etc for Version Control.
Really? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Version Control: How do you do at your place

Post by narasimha »

vijayrc wrote:Is there a compare utility or something in that line.
Unlike as in CVS, there is no compare utility in Version Control.
It would have been nice if it had one.
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Supposed to be that functionality in 8.x but for now I still do it the Old Fashioned Way: two dsx exports and a good compare utility, like Ultra Compare for example.
-craig

vijayrc
Participant

Post by vijayrc »

chulett wrote:Supposed to be that functionality in 8.x but for now I still do it the Old Fashioned Way: two dsx exports and a good compare utility, like Ultra Compare for example. ...
Thanks chulett for guiding towards UltraCompare. Would give it a try. For now, we have no means to do know what has changed from one .dsx to the next one and hope this helps out.
Any other suggestions on how changes that are going in are compared with baselined version would be really appreciated. Thanks again.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Comparing the two DSX files with diff does show you what's changed.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

ray.wurlod wrote:Comparing the two DSX files with diff does show you what's changed.
You read my mind. But ftp'ing the files every time is a pain.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
vijayrc
Participant

Post by vijayrc »

DSguru2B wrote:
ray.wurlod wrote:Comparing the two DSX files with diff does show you what's changed.
You read my mind. But ftp'ing the files every time is a pain.
You both mean comparing two .dsx with diff option using UltraCompare ??!! Clarify Pls. Thanks
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Ray was talking about unix diff command. Craig was talking about ultaedit. Two different things.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

Two things
- Using compare with UltraCompare
- diff on unix
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Umm... yah. Try them both and tell me which one you prefer. :wink:
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Why is there a need to FTP anything? You can use diff right there on the DataStage server, surely?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Exports are on my desktop. Need to ftp the files on to my unix server (DataStage server) for the diff.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

For comparison anyway, you guys will love v8.