problem adding jobs to schedule

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

hiltsmi
Participant

problem adding jobs to schedule

Post by hiltsmi »

I have a new install of DataStage. I can run jobs manually but when I try to schedule a job I get the following error message. I have been unable to schedule any jobs.

Error adding to schedule: at: garbage after time specification
(Command was: AT 14:00 /NEXT:5 vmdsr_sched.exe C:\Ascential\DataStage\Projects\Test_project copyDSlog 0/50 2)

Can anyone tell me what the problem is?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

First, see if "at" is even up and running on your machine; you can type in the command "at" in a dos shell to check this. Then, do you have access rights to add to the scheduler? I tried your command and it worked (you can try executing "AT 14:00 /NEXT:5 vmdsr_sched.exe C:\Ascential\DataStage\Projects\Test_project copyDSlog 0/50 2" in a cmd window on your server as well.
hiltsmi
Participant

Post by hiltsmi »

I tried it in a command window and it gives me the same error message.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Try adding something else, like a "dir" command; can you do that? If not, it is probably access rights.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Assuming that the Scheduler service is running (the error message suggests you've got as far as trying to execute an AT command), the text of the message indicates a problem in DataStage. That there's "garbage after the time specification" in the AT command is something you need to take up with your support provider.

It looks like a valid AT command to me. The /NEXT switch is legal, the executable name is in the DataStage bin directory, and the remainder is the command line to vmdsr_sched.exe.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Did you ever resolve this? I have just encountered it on a 7.5.1 system.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
gomez
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gomez »

I encounter this when I try to schedule a job. Can somebody help ?
Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If there had been a resolution it would probably have been posted here sometime in the past two years.

Have you asked your support provider?
gomez
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gomez »

I dont understand who you mean by Support provider ?? Are they the tech support available within the organisation or IBM Ascential?
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

IBM .
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Your vendor (the company from which you purchased DataStage) is expected to provide first line support - they take a percentage of the maintenance revenue.

If you bought DataStage through a reseller and then attempt to contact IBM support directly, you will be politely but firmly redirected back to your reseller.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

You manager or who ever signed the PO will be having more information about it. Or maybe if you guys have a product admin at your site, he/she will be able to help you out.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
gomez
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gomez »

My guess was this is an installation issue or access restrictions. We have DataStage installed in development/production servers using the same license and they seem to be working fine with respect to scheduling. It is only the install on my desktop that throws up errors when I try to schedule the jobs

I would try a reinstall to see if that fixes the problem and then would get in touch with IBM for more help

Thanks to everyone who stepped in to help me!
soportesis
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by soportesis »

PROBLEM: DataStage is not able to find the correct AT.exe command and executes the first it finds according to the Windows system PATH.

SOLUTION: Move the C:\Windows\system32 directory towards the beginning of the PATH variable. You can do this trhough the Control Panel -> System (Advanced tab) -> Environment Variables.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard. :D

Which AT command is it finding?
Will moving System32 to the front of PATH solve the "garbage after the time specification" issue, or is this a bug in DataStage?