CRC32 in PX

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nvalia
Premium Member
Premium Member

CRC32 in PX

Post by nvalia »

Hi,

Has anyone tried using CRC32 in Parallel version by wrapping the code in a BuildOp since we do have this function in PX (only in server edition)?

NV
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

viewtopic.php?t=99274&postdays=0&postor ... 32&start=0

You can just have look in to this thread.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The data volumes I would expect to process with a parallel job would make the risks involved in using CRC32 too great.

CRC32 has about a one in four million chance of generating false positives.

Parallel jobs have their own, quite efficient, change detection mechanisms; the Difference stage, the Compare stage and the Change Capture stage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
snt_ds
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by snt_ds »

Thanks.

What are the major differnces bewteen the 3 parallel job stages used for data comparision?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

When you read the three pertinent chapters in the Parallel Job Developer's Guide what did you discern the differences to be?

I would be happy to read these chapters for you, in return for my usual fee.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
snt_ds
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by snt_ds »

I would be more than happy to pay for it!!

Jokes apart, U have been of great help thru ur replies.
Thanks Ray.[/b]
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

snt_ds wrote:I would be more than happy to pay for it!![/b]
You haven't seen my fees! :lol:

Learning where to look is half the battle. Reading manuals and readme files is how I keep up to date.

One day I'll retire, or even take a vacation, and then you'll all have to stand on your own just that little bit more.

I'm very pleased to see the growth in this community of folks who are posting answers, sometimes very good answers. It means I can retire with no problems for my conscience. One day.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

ray.wurlod wrote:
I'm very pleased to see the growth in this community of folks who are posting answers, sometimes very good answers. It means I can retire with no problems for my conscience. One day.
:cry:
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

And when that happens, it will still take years to catch up to whatever post level high water mark Ray leaves behind. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Wish that 'One day' is after several decades.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
sud
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sud »

chulett wrote:... post level high water mark ...
Craig, I seriously think that needs some transformations. :wink:

Ray, thanks for letting us know that you won't be there someday and that we need to come of age soon...

By the way, don't get scared by Ray's rates, call me for reading assignments. I sure can READ :!: :!:
It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for ETL, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I only ever use the Change Data Capture stage and ignore the other two stages. I think the CDC stage was developed as an improvement to the Difference stage though I don't know where I originally read this.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's mainly a functional question. Do you need direction of difference? Then you use the Compare stage. Do you need the source columns separated (Difference) or as subrecords (Change Capture)?
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

ChageCapture can yield only after data set. Difference stage uses the diff operator, which internally uses the diff command at OS level, which does the check on before and after dataset record by records and can result before or after dataset.