Data Model

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

santoshkumar
Charter Member
Charter Member

Data Model

Post by santoshkumar »

Hi All,

I wanted to know what is the best way to create actual data model in a database.

I have a Erwin model (datamart) , should I just use forward engineer option and run the script (unchanged) in the backend database

Thanks.
Santosh
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Data Model

Post by narasimha »

santoshkumar wrote:I have a Erwin model (datamart) , should I just use forward engineer option and run the script (unchanged) in the backend database
You should be fine with your approach. I have some thing similar in the past.

Again, you might not get many responses here as this topic is out of coverage in DSXchange
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The best way is to generate the physical model and, perhaps, the DDL for the database, and hand that to the DBA for review. The DBA may have input concerning, for example, the best placement on disk for table space, index space, and so on. Might even observe efficiencies that can be obtained (such as separating tables from their indexes to get better I/O throughput).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.