DataStage V 8.0 Upgrade

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

DataStage V 8.0 Upgrade

Post by Raftsman »

We have been trying to upgrade to version 8.0 with no success so far. Maybe someone has had the same issue and could help. We contacted IBM but the issue still exist.

Problem:

When we run the installation, we receive errors from the creation of the DB2 metadata repository. We currently have version 8.0 of DB2 on the server and the upgrade has version 9.. We tried removing all references of version 8.0 from the server prior to the upgrade and still had problems. IBM told us that there can be no DB2 on the server prior to upgrade. Well that didn't solve our problem. The error message doesn't tell us what is wrong.

Has anyone been successful with the upgrade and is there something specific we need to do in order for the upgrade to work.

Thanks
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

I would love to help, but Ascential/IBM tech support is probably going to be your only source right now. Most of us have only seen the pretty slideshow demos and haven't actually worked with 8.0.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
seanc217
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by seanc217 »

YES YES YES.
I have been working with IBM tech support on this for 2 Weeks!

Question,

Does your local security policy get set via a domain?
If so, you need to open it up so that DB2 can do its thing when creating the metadata repository.

Here are the settings I have so far that I need to open up: I have to have our OSG team do it, so I don't know if it works yet...

GROUP: DB2ADMNS

Policies:
Access this computer from the network
Adjust memory quotas for a process
Back up files and directories
Create a token object
Create global objects
Debug programs
Generate security audits
Impersonate a client after authentication
Increase scheduling priority
Lock pages in memory
Log on a s a service
Manage auditing and security log
Modify firmware environment values
Replace process level token
Restore files and directories
Take ownership of files or other objects

GROUP: DB2USERS

Policies:
Access this computer from the network
Create global objects
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Two weeks to solve this kind of problem? Unbelievable.
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

seanc217 wrote:YES YES YES.
I have been working with IBM tech support on this for 2 Weeks!
Do all the hard work, and get ready to answer if we have any questions :wink:
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

lstsaur wrote:Two weeks to solve this kind of problem? Unbelievable.
Unbelievably fast, or unbelievably slow?
Bear in mind that the support folks are working on other people's queries too.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
WesL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: DataStage V 8.0 Upgrade

Post by WesL »

Raftsman wrote:We currently have version 8.0 of DB2 on the server and the upgrade has version 9.. We tried removing all references of version 8.0 from the server prior to the upgrade and still had problems. IBM told us that there can be no DB2 on the server prior to upgrade. Well that didn't solve our problem. The error message doesn't tell us what is wrong.
I just want to make sure I understand what is going on. So you removed DB2 8.0 from the server and it will not load DB2 9.0. Can you give us the exact error.

We got our 8.0 installed but it was with SQL.
seanc217
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by seanc217 »

I did not have any version of DB2 installed before installing this product.
Here's the info on the error that occured:

01/09/2007 11:53:36 CREATE DATABASE xmeta ON 'H:' ALIAS xmeta USING CODESET UTF-8 TERRITORY US COLLATE USING IDENTITY USER TABLESPACE MANAGED BY AUTOMATIC STORAGE AUTORESIZE YES INITIALSIZE 500 M INCREASESIZE 10 PERCENT MAXSIZE NONE
01/09/2007 11:53:36 SQL0902C A system error (reason code = "") occurred. Subsequent SQL statements cannot be processed. SQLSTATE=58005

I will keep you informed on the issue that I have and when it gets resolved.
Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raftsman »

Hi all,

The answer for DB2 was a port issue. The default that the Information Server install provides is 50001. This did not work because our limit was 50000. We used another port 33... and the install worked. We also made sure that we did not use the same port as the DB2 Connect port. This was a precaution.

Today, we are import projects and having to recreate the users. I am not sure why it the previous user setups did not roll forward. We are still trying to work out these issues. I will keep you posted on our progress

I also installed the client on my laptop only to find that the icons for 7.5 remained and did not work. I would of thought the install would of replaced them. I am still investigating this to make sure that other fragments are not sticking around. I will provide an update on this as well.

Who ever said this was going to be an easy upgrade.....
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Raftsman,
Checking the screen prints of my Hawk installation, I found that the default port for DB2 is actually 50000 NOT 50001. I am thinking in your case probably that the installer has detected that the port 50000 was already taken by aother application, e.g. your older version of DB2, and therefore automatically bumps up to 50001?

When you said "previous user setups did not roll forward.", do you mean that these users were previously set in the Websphere Metadata Server?
If they were created in the Webshpere Metadata Server, they should be able to function as what they are assigned unless their passwords expired.

If you read the installation documentaion, especially Hawk's release notes, thoroughly before the installation, it's pretty easy. I know...who has time to read?
Raftsman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raftsman »

Yes read... We went over the documentation numerous times. Just like the compiler. If your using the .NET 2003 version, the docs tell you to add extra code to the environment variables. When we added the code, the compiler aborted. We removed the extra code and everything work fine. Yes, documentation, sometimes it's good, sometime it's bad.

As for the users, I am talking about the Windows setups that link into Datastage. They no longer work. We are trying to recreate their tie ins with the project and just log into Datastage. Hope to have an answer for you today.
seanc217
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by seanc217 »

Hi everyone.

I just wanted to let you know that the security policy on the computer is what prevented the information server from installing once I had the server group add the users to the policies I listed above, it installed with no problems.

Sean
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Great thread Sean, thanks for sharing your experiences and providing the resolution.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A paper given at the Informaton On Demand 2006 conference by Jim Tsimis covered a number of tips and tricks for the installation of version 8.0 - I vaguely recall that this was among them.

Session number was 1592, title "IBM Information Server Installation & Migration".

Jim also recommends shutting down the firewall and virus checker software to speed the process and, indeed, any uninstall process. If a firewall is running "there is a very good chance that the install will fail". [ibid]

IOD 2006 papers can be downloaded from IBM, at least by people who attended and IBM employees.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I think the IOD 2006 download links are all gone. It's been superceded by the IOD 2007 homepage and there are just a couple 2006 information pages left. If anyone knows how to get to the 2006 download please post the link for those who have logins.