error in Nodes and Players

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

hariprasadreddy
Participant

error in Nodes and Players

Post by hariprasadreddy »

Hi All ,

I get this error when i run a job i n PX

There will be some skew in the usage of the server because the number of players (2) is not evenly divided by the number of available nodes (4).

Please clarify and your response is highly appreciated

Thanks in advance , hari
pavankvk
Participant

Post by pavankvk »

how many processors do u have? is it a warning or error with an abort?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is this job using a Teradata Enterprise stage?

In any case, the message is clear. Your configuration file has four nodes, but your job is so simple that it generates only two player processes. Therefore two of the nodes will remain unused.

Maybe you are running stages in sequential mode rather than parallel mode.

You can certainly obviate this error message by running the job using a configuration file with two or fewer nodes.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
hariprasadreddy
Participant

Resolved

Hi everyone ,

I just resolved the issue. I had to change the Requested sessions in my job properties and make sure that these requested seessions are in conjunction with the sessions per player ( let us say there are 8 requested sessions for 4 nodes , i had to apply 2 sessions per player) things are fine now

thank you all
hari
pavankvk
Participant

Re: Resolved

Post by pavankvk »

hariprasadreddy wrote:Hi everyone ,

I just resolved the issue. I had to change the Requested sessions in my job properties and make sure that these requested seessions are in conjunction with the sessions per player ( let us say there are 8 requested sessions for 4 nodes , i had to apply 2 sessions per player) things are fine now

thank you all
hari
can you explain in more detail. where did u specify this?
hariprasadreddy
Participant

hie ray wurlod ,

you are right , my stage is teradata enterprise

thanks
hari
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Sessions per Player is a property in the Teradata Enterprise stage, which is what prompted the original question. You need a bit of understanding about how DataStage interacts with Teradata to really get a handle on the best settings for these properties; you are trying to get as many sessions out of Teradata as you can, but ideally without imbalance over the partitions.

There is a section called "How Teradata Works" in IBM's Advanced class (code DX436) which can be added to the Essentials class (code DX434) by prior arrangement, and which discusses these issues.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.