parameter

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

NOt in the sequence job. In your px job.
Go to the job properties and convert both of these parameters to string type. Atleast for the date.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
kishoreramachandran
Participant

Post by kishoreramachandran »

when i define it as a string the job compiles well but it not executing as it should be.the result tables are blank, no records.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Did you remove the quotes from the Date?
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
kishoreramachandran
Participant

no, the dates have got double quotes, thats the way it was created when i wrote it to a sequential file.
kishoreramachandran
Participant

actually in the exec command stage i have given cat and then the full path name, but am i supposed to give cat or type.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

cat if the server is on UNIX, type if the server is on Windows (you can also use cat on Windows if the DataStage version is 7.5x2, in which it will be executed by MKS Toolkit).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

kishoreramachandran wrote:no, the dates have got double quotes, thats the way it was created when i wrote it to a sequential file.
Dont create it with the quotes then. The quotes are the culprit. Or change your sql. Create the sequential file with quote character 000 to get rid of quote character.
kishoreramachandran
Participant

perfect now it is working.
thanks for the service.
now when I create a sequential file how will I eliminate the " that the system is putting.
In the job sequence if I have 3 job activity then does it mean I should have 3 command stage before those activitiies.( 1 in front of each)
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

kishoreramachandran wrote:now when I create a sequential file how will I eliminate the " that the system is putting.
Read my previous post again to see how to populate date without the quotes. The system does not do anything. Your job does that.
I suggest have all your parameters in a file, read them as i have suggested and pass it to one Master Job Activity. This job activity will have your sequence jobs. This way all you need is one Execute Command Stage going into single job activity. That job activity will have all your sequence and so on.
That is one way to do it. There are others. Search for more design info.
kishoreramachandran
Participant

sequential file is fine now.
I have to pass 1 parameter which will be a user keyin value to the job sequence. If I define that in the job activity of the job then how will I associate that with the properties in the sequence job.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

That job activity will pass it down the chain. You will feed the parameter to the a single job activity as "Master". It will set the parameter for that Master. Inside Master you will have, say five job activities. You will choose Master's job prameter and feed it to where ever you want to in the subsequent job activities.
kishoreramachandran
Participant

how can i put many jobs ina job activity, it allos me to put only 1 job . what you mean by master
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

You can have a sequence inside a sequence inside a sequence. The top level sequence is what i referred to as Master. In your drop down, you can also choose sequence jobs.