Error view data command

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

PeterPol
Premium Member
Premium Member

Error view data command

Post by PeterPol »

hi all,

I want to retrieve a selection of records from my Dbf table. For this purpose I use an ODBC stage in which I set read method to table and specify the tablename as parameter #TABLE#. In the columns tab I entered the column 'markeer' from this table. When I view the data I get the following error:

>##E TOPK 000000 09:39:58(003) <_PEEK_IDENT_> Input dataset does not have field: "markeer"

However, when I chose as read method user-defined sql and enter the sql statement:

SELECT markeer
FROM
#MAILBEST#
WHERE
markeer = #FILENAME#

... gives the correct result set.
(with same column entered in columns tab)

I have 2 questions.
1. Any idea why does the table read method fail?
2. besides the fixed column markeer I also want to select other columns from this table. How to do this if I do not know on forehand what these columns are? The metadata of this table may change once in a while...

Can RCP be used for this?How?

Peter
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

As asked in the other post, does the view data work for any other field other than the given date field?
Just check you don't have any other database issues by changing the query to
'SELECT SYSDATE FROM dual '

On your other point, you can use the generated query to build the query so that the columns can be matched to that one present in the table. Dynamic metadata is not supported, unless you can make use of Scheme file clubbed with RCP.
But if the column that you intend to select remains the same, irrecpective of the change in table, your flow will continue with the fields that you have selected using the query.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'