Failure during execution of operator logic

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Marley777
Premium Member
Premium Member

Failure during execution of operator logic

Post by Marley777 »

Greetings...we have a job that has been running in our production environment for several years now with no issues. Our last run produced the following fatal errors:

Funnel_23,0: Failure during execution of operator logic.

Funnel_23,0: Fatal Error: APT_SYSselect returned error status -1 and no inputs reached EOF.

node_node0: Player 25 terminated unexpectedly.

main_program: Unexpected exit status 1

When we rerun the program it runs fine. Does anybody have any ideas of what might have happened and anything to check going forward?

Thanks.
samsuf2002
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by samsuf2002 »

need more information, Can you please let us know your job design?
hi sam here
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Failure during execution of operator logic

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

RStone wrote:Greetings...we have a job that has been running in our production environment for several years now with no issues. Our last run produced the following fatal errors:

Funnel_23,0: Failure during execution of operator logic.

Funnel_23,0: Fatal Error: APT_SYSselect returned error status -1 and no inputs reached EOF.

node_node0: Player 25 terminated unexpectedly.

main_program: Unexpected exit status 1

When we rerun the program it runs fine. Does anybody have any ideas of what might have happened and anything to check going forward?

Thanks.
Looks like you encountered a termination character in a varchar or char field you have. search the forum to see how to deal with those
Marley777
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Marley777 »

Thanks for both responses.

If it were a termination character in a varchar or char field would the job run okay with the same data if you simply resubmit the job?

The job design is

DB2
------> funnel ---> lookup ----> transformer ....etc
DB2

The funnel stage is what spits out the fatal error.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

These intermittent "terminated unexpectedly" with no further information are even more infuriating to try to diagnose than most intermittent errors.

I think we need to begin a concerted campaign to make sure that the support organization gets to hear of every one of them in the hope that better diagnostic mechanisms can be introduced.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Try limiting the number of input rows based on ROWNUBMER from DB2 table. And check if thats by any chance due to large data stream flow into funnel stage.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

RStone,

Did you ever get this APT_SYSselect error resolved? We are running into a similar issue. Instead of DB2 stages feeding the funnel, it is 2 datasets with hash partitioning.

I am thinking that the error is related to the funnel itself. If you could pass on your resolution, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Brad.

ps. My error post: Fatal Error: APT_SYSselect returned error status -1
surendra.v
Participant

Receiving same error message in Funnel Stage

Post by surendra.v »

Hi ,
We had a DB2 Version 9 upgrade for which some patches were installed on DS Engine. From that point onwards we are receiving this error message. We tried with different partitioning methods and the issue still persists. But when we rerun this Datastage job couple of times, it completes fine. I believe this is not an issue with job design.
It appears that Funnel Stage is having problems and causing these errors.

Below is the detail error message.
"FUNL_Union,0: Fatal Error: APT_SYSselect returned error status -1 and no inputs reached EOF.
node_prod01_node1: operator [FUNL_Union], partition 0 of 4, processID 2,035,712 on prod01_node1, player 2 terminated unexpectedly."

Thanks
Surendra
bcarlson wrote:RStone,

Did you ever get this APT_SYSselect error resolved? We are running into a similar issue. Instead of DB2 stages feeding the funnel, it is 2 datasets with hash partitioning.

I am thinking that the error is related to the funnel itself. If you could pass on your resolution, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Brad.

ps. My error post: Fatal Error: APT_SYSselect returned error status -1
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The previous post is totally unrelated to "failure during execution of operator logic".

If you have a new topic we expect you to start a new thread, not hijack an existing thread. This makes life easier for future searchers.

Once you have searched the forum for your particular error, please create a new topic and ask the question there, mentioning the results of your search.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
surendra.v
Participant

Post by surendra.v »

hi ,
i am referring to the same problem for which this thread has been started...
We did tried with different partitioning methods and the problem still persists. There is no clue why the funnel stage is having problems.

Thanks
Surendra

ray.wurlod wrote:The previous post is totally unrelated to "failure during execution of operator logic".

If you have a new topic we expect you to start a new thread, not hijack an existing thread. This makes life easier for future searchers.

Once you have searched the forum for your particular error, please create a new topic and ask the question there, mentioning the results of your search.
challahari
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Failure during execution of operator logic

Post by challahari »

You have two db2 stages as inputs to your funnel stage correct me If I am wrong. The error could be because of it (funnel) did not receive the data from one of the two sources.
Next time when you get the same issue, try to look at the query statement of both of them. One of them might be causing issue.

Thanks.
Nara.