Copy Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ashwin2912
Participant

Copy Stage

Post by ashwin2912 »

I am a bit confused by these lines in DS Help Docs:
Where you are using a Copy stage with a single input and a single output, you should ensure that you set the Force property in the stage editor TRUE. This prevents DataStage from deciding that the Copy operation is superfluous and optimizing it out of the job.
So while having a single input and single output and I pass all columns thru it...what option do I set?
(I am doing this for possible access of the intermediate data in future)

Also, 2nd question...what if I have 2 outputs...what should I set?
Ashwin
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
this note says that if you have only 1 output column you must set this force to true to force DS to leave it in and not optimize it out of the job at compile time.
in any case you have more then 1 output link (this is what you use copy stage for) you need not set the force to true since it will not be optimized out of the job.

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
yakiku
Premium Member
Premium Member

Copy Stage

Post by yakiku »

I have question on the same issue of setting 'force' value in copy stage if there is only one output link. I am using copy stage in a job with one input and one output link only as a place holder in case i need to replace it with a transformer stage in the future. In this case, i would prefer DataStage to optimize the generated code. So i would like to set this to 'False'. But the statement:

"Where you are using a Copy stage with a single input and a single
output, you should ensure that you set the Force property in the stage
editor TRUE. This prevents DataStage from deciding that the Copy
operation is superfluous and optimizing it out of the job."

is not leaving any room for such discretion during coding. Am I understanding this correctly? Should I not in any situation set Force to False if only one input and one output link exists?

TIA.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can set it to False if you like. What this ultimately means is that the optimizer can decide - if you are doing a direct copy with no changes particularly - not to include the Copy stage at all. After all, if it's a placeholder (a "do nothing" stage), then it's most efficiently replaced with a NO-OP (a "do nothing" operator).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
syamv
Participant

copy stage

Post by syamv »

Hi,

I am pulling data from a sequential file and using copy stage to copy the data to another seq file. But the data is not copied to the out put file.I coud see data in the first seq file and the from copy stage no data is pushed to the output file.

Can anybody tell me what's the problem here?

Thanks,
SV
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Symav, you have just hijacked a post. Please start a new post and it will be answered there.
Regards,
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

Welcome Aboard. :)

Is your job running successfully and yet you cannot see the data in the sequential file or is your job aborting? Please give us more details so that we can help. Did you set all the required properties in the sequential file?
Kris

Where's the "Any" key?-Homer Simpson
syamv
Participant

copy stage

Post by syamv »

i am sorry. i will send a new message.
Last edited by syamv on Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Thats ok. You are a new poster and we extend a warm welcome. I thought it was my duty to guide you from the very begining. :)
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.