Problem using ODBC connection

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Inquisitive
Charter Member
Charter Member

Problem using ODBC connection

Post by Inquisitive »

Hi,

I am trying to set up ODBC connection from Datastge 7.5.2 on Redhatt linux 3.0 to Db2 8.0 on Redhat linux.
I did set up .odbc.ini , dsenv in $DSHOME and uvodbc.config in project directry. I am using Db2 wired protocol and have set up all the files accordingly.

I have checked the connection through DSEngine Shell.

I am able to see DSN with DS_CONNECT and
also I am able to login DS_CONNECT <dsn> and then I am able to fire queries.

But problem start when I try to connect through Datastage.

When I I try to perform 'view data' through ODBC Entperprise stage I get following error

SH : /root/.bashrc :permission Denied

When I try to run the job to extract data through ODBC Entperise into a flat file. I get following Fatal errors in the log

main_program: PATH search failure: [sil/step_il.C:1327]

main_program: Error loading "orchodbc": Could not load "orchodbc": /home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/PXEngine/lib/liborchodbci686.so: symbol SQLSetEnvAttr, version VERS_3.52 not defined in file libodbc.so with link time reference. [api/opreg.C:278]
Could not locate operator definition, wrapper, or Unix command for "odbcread"; please check that all needed libraries are preloaded, and check the PATH for the wrappers [sil/step_il.C:584]

main_program: Creation of a step finished with status = FAILED. [osh.C:1185]

But I am able to import table definition through ODBC service.

I dont have clue why I am not able to execute it through ODBC enterprise stage.

Please let me know if you have any solution for the problem above.

Thanks
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

As specified in the error, have you tried the user with full permission. Try with the user id through which you installed.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What are the permissions on the /root/.bashrc file?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Inquisitive
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Inquisitive »

I have given full permission to user dsadm.

Also I could not find file .bashrc under /root
Inquisitive
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Inquisitive »

After trying various things I figured out this problem is not really with ODBC connection.
It is with Datastage not being able to get correct Env settings.

Following is the Entry in my job log for the Env setting strp before it kicks off the job.

Following are the entries from the log where it is having problems to set environments properly (this is different from install issue) . I am not sure where it is havin gproblems.

Environment variable settings:
DB2INSTANCE=db2inst1
DSHOME=/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine
HOSTNAME=uhqtpdhetl01
TERM=
SHELL=/bin/bash
HISTSIZE=1000
SSH_CLIENT=172.16.57.10 1031 22
SSH_TTY=/dev/pts/3
USER=dsadm
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=SH: /root/.bashrc: Permission deniedSH: /root/.bashrc: Permission deniedSH: /root/.bashrc: Permission deniedSH: /root/.bashrc: Permission denied/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/Projects/PDH_DEV/RT_BP1.O:/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/PXEngine/user_lib: Permission deniedbuildop:SH: /root/.bashrc: Permission deniedSH: /root/.bashrc: Permission deniedPermission deniedbuildop:SH: /root/.bashrc: Permission deniedSH: /root/.bashrc: Permission deniedPermission deniedbuildop:/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/Projects/PDH_DEV/SH:/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/DSCAPIOp:/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/RTIOperators:/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/DSParallel: Permission denied/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/PXEngine/user_lib: Permission denied/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/PXEngine/lib:SH: /root/.bashrc: Permission deniedSH: /root/.bashrc: Permission denied/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/branded_odbc/lib:/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/lib:/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/uvdlls:/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/java/jre/lib/i386/client:/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/java/jre/lib/i386:/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/PXEngine/lib:/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/branded_odbc/lib:/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/lib:/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/uvdlls:/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/java/jre/lib/i386/client:/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/java/jre/lib/i386:/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/PXEngine/lib::/home/db2inst1/sqllib/lib:/home/db2inst1/sqllib/lib:/usr/lib:.:/lib
LS_COLORS=no=00:fi=00:di=00;34:ln=00;36:pi=40;33:so=00;35:bd=40;33;01:cd=40;33;01:or=01;05;37;41:mi=01;05;37;41:ex=00;32:*.cmd=00;32:*.exe=00;32:*.com=00;32:*.btm=00;32:*.bat=00;32:*.sh=00;32:*.csh=00;32:*.tar=00;31:*.tgz=00;31:*.arj=00;31:*.taz=00;31:*.lzh=00;31:*.zip=00;31:*.z=00;31:*.Z=00;31:*.gz=00;31:*.bz2=00;31:*.bz=00;31:*.tz=00;31:*.rpm=00;31:*.cpio=00;31:*.jpg=00;35:*.gif=00;35:*.bmp=00;35:*.xbm=00;35:*.xpm=00;35:*.png=00;35:*.tif=00;35:
USERNAME=root
APT_ORCHHOME=/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/PXEngine
MAIL=/var/spool/mail/root
PATH=SH: /root/.bashrc: Permission deniedPermission deniedwrapped:SH: /root/.bashrc: Permission deniedSH: /root/.bashrc: Permission deniedPermission deniedwrapped:/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/Projects/PDH_DEV/RT_BP1.O:/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/PXEngine/user_osh_wrappers:/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/PXEngine/osh_wrappers:SH: /root/.bashrc: Permission deniedSH: /root/.bashrc: Permission deniedPermission deniedwrapped:SH: /root/.bashrc: Permission deniedSH: /root/.bashrc: Permission deniedPermission deniedwrapped:/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/Projects/PDH_DEV/SH: Permission deniedbuildop:/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/Projects/PDH_DEV/SH:/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/DSCAPIOp:/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/RTIOperators:/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/DSParallel: Permission denied/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/PXEngine/user_osh_wrappers: Permission denied/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/PXEngine/osh_wrappers:SH: /root/.bashrc: Permission deniedSH: /root/.bashrc: Permission denied/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/PXEngine/bin:/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/PXEngine/bin:/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/root/bin:.
INPUTRC=/etc/inputrc
PWD=/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
DB2DIR=/opt/IBM/db2/V8.1
SSH_ASKPASS=/usr/libexec/openssh/gnome-ssh-askpass
SHLVL=4
HOME=/home/dsadm
ODBCINI=/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/.odbc.ini
BASH_ENV=/root/.bashrc
LOGNAME=dsadm
SSH_CONNECTION=172.16.57.10 1031 172.16.57.11 22
LESSOPEN=|/usr/bin/lesspipe.sh Test_Odbc
INSTHOME=/home/db2inst1
G_BROKEN_FILENAMES=1
UDTHOME=/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/ud41
UDTBIN=/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/ud41/bin
DS_USERNO=-7521
WHO=PDH_DEV
BELL=^G
FLAVOR=-1
DSIPC_OPEN_TIMEOUT=30
APT_CONFIG_FILE=/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/Configurations/default.apt
APT_MONITOR_MINTIME=10
DS_ENABLE_RESERVED_CHAR_CONVERT=0
DS_OPERATOR_BUILDOP_DIR=buildop
DS_OPERATOR_WRAPPED_DIR=wrapped
DS_TDM_TRACE_SUBROUTINE_CALLS=0
DS_TDM_PIPE_OPEN_TIMEOUT=720
APT_COMPILER=g++
APT_COMPILEOPT=-O -fPIC -Wno-deprecated -c
APT_LINKER=g++
APT_LINKOPT=-shared -Wl,-Bsymbolic,--allow-shlib-undefined
APT_OPERATOR_REGISTRY_PATH= Permission deniedbuildop:SH: /root/.bashrc: Permission deniedPermission deniedbuildop:SH: /root/.bashrc: Permission deniedPermission deniedbuildop:SH: /root/.bashrc: Permission deniedPermission deniedbuildop:/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/Projects/PDH_DEV/SH:SH: /root/.bashrc: Permission denied
OSH_STDOUT_MSG=1
APT_ERROR_CONFIGURATION=severity, !vseverity, !jobid, moduleid, errorIndex, timestamp, !ipaddr, !nodeplayer, !nodename, opid, message
APT_MSG_FILELINE=1
APT_ENGLISH_MESSAGES=1
APT_PM_PLAYER_TIMING=1
APT_PM_PLAYER_MEMORY=1
APT_RECORD_COUNTS=1

It looks like it is not able to set Env variables properly. Also when I try to start the DSEngine from command prompt I get following error.

Also from where does it get all above Env details apart form dsenv file? I dont know from where it is getting the entry 'BASH_ENV=/root/.bashrc'..

Is this somehting wronng with it?

I checked and made sure /root/.bashrc has 777 settings.

[root@uhqtpdhetl01 etc]# $DSHOME/bin/uv -admin -start
bash: /root/.bashrc: Permission denied

DataStage Engine 7.5.2.1 instance "ade" has been brought up.
Starting JobMonApp
JobMonApp has been started.

I dont get 'permission denied" error when I try to stop the engine.

Any idea what could be the real issue?

Thanks in Advance.
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Inquistive,
It's nothing but your dsadm's permissions causing the problems. I have an exact same environment as yours. The following is part of my env:

DB2CLIINIPATH=/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine
USER=dsadm
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/branded_odbc/lib:/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/lib:/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/uvdlls:/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/java/jre/lib/i386/client:/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/java/jre/lib/i386:/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/branded_odbc/lib:/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/lib:/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/uvdlls:/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/java/jre/lib/i386/client:/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/java/jre/lib/i386::/devetl/oracle/oracle/product/10.2.0/lib32:/devetl/oracle/oracle/product/10.2.0/lib:/home/db2inst1/sqllib/lib:/opt/mqm/lib:/usr/lib:/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/lib:/home/qsadm/Ascential/QSStage/bin:/devetl/oracle/oracle/product/10.2.0/lib32:/devetl/oracle/oracle/product/10.2.0/lib:/home/db2inst1/sqllib/lib:/opt/mqm/lib:/usr/lib:/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/lib:/home/qsadm/Ascential/QSStage/bin
Inquisitive
Charter Member
Charter Member

Permssion on /root/.bashrc

Post by Inquisitive »

Hi Istsaur,

Thanks for your reply.

I have given full permission to /root/.bashrc.
Currently its permissions are _RWXRWXRWX

is there some other problem with dsenv? I have defined PATH in below manner.
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$APT_ORCHHOME/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
PATH=$APT_ORCHHOME/bin:$PATH

I am not sure what else could be the problem.

Is there any other way to check if permission is the issue?

Thanks
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Inquisitive,
It's not only the permission on /root/.bashrc. You have had permission denied almost everthing after the /home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage directory. Take a look of both your LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PATH.

How come your USER=dsadm has USERNAME=root in your environment variable settings? How did you create the user "dsadm"?