Error inserting null value to fixed width seq file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dsguy
Participant

Error inserting null value to fixed width seq file

Post by dsguy »

Hi All

I am getting the following error while inserting null values in to a fixed width seq file .I gave null feild value as *.The data type for the column is Char.
Error
------
Sequential_File_20: Error when checking operator: "record_length=fixed" (no length given) and record field format is variable-length. The first variable-length field is "MEME_CK".

Thanks,
Girish
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The Null Field Value in a fixed width file must have the same length as any non-null data in that field. After all, that's what fixed width means - every value in the column - including the representation of null - has the same width.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
johnthomas
Participant

Post by johnthomas »

Did you define the fields as varchar ???
JT
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

You need to give * character to the length of the field.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
us1aslam1us
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by us1aslam1us »

Hi,

I don't know where you are working but to my memory(when working at Health Insurance Cmpny) that MEME_CK used to be Member contrive key and data type beng integer, So out of curiosity could you tell us Is this field having Null values and also try ray's suggestion if it is true.

Sam
ajith
Participant

Post by ajith »

In the column definition tab of the output, go to the relevant key column, do an edit row. From the properties set the field width and padchar property accordingly. This will solve the problem.

I am wondering why is this happening to a char column , anyways try redoing the stage, That is how I solved it when I encountered this with a char column.

thanks,
Ajith