Preserve sort order - in transformer stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vij
Participant

Preserve sort order - in transformer stage

Post by vij »

Hi all,
I would want to know if the option "preserve sort order" in transformer stage ( i am doing an inline sorting in this stage) is enabled, will the process of loading data takes more time or more consumption of memory is used???

pls answer this.
Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

When you consulted the online help for this option, what did it tell you?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vij
Participant

Post by vij »

I am Sorry Ray, i domt find anythg for transformer stage.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

It is same as the other stages. If you sort the data, and the if you wish the order of the data within a group be the same (based) on the key mentioned, you can select this option. Yes, it will be a overhead. Its an additional process to trace the position of the rows in order.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
throbinson
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by throbinson »

I cannot find any documentation for this "preserves sort order" checkbox in the EE transformer stage. It isn't in the online help nor is it in the Parallel developer guide.
I believe it to be completely undocumented. Am I wrong?
Anyone who can read English can assume it does what it says it does but I would prefer something more. Is there anything?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

At version 8 the online help states
Preserves Sort Order
Select this if you know that the rows being input to the Transformer stage have been sorted and you want to preserve the sort order.
and neither the Parallel Job Developer Guide nor the Parallel Job Advanced Developer Guide mention it.