Restartability within the StartLoop and Endloop stages

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

abc123
Premium Member
Premium Member

Restartability within the StartLoop and Endloop stages

Post by abc123 »

How does restartability happen within the StartLoop and Endloop stages of a a sequencer? Let's say we have 5 stages within the StartLoop and EndLoop stages. If the job fails on the second stage, would during restart,
the loop counter be preserve? Has anybody done something like this?
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

There is no inbuilt mechanism or checkpoint to the level of Loops in the Job Sequence.
It would be interesting to know if anybody has implemented any way to handle this.
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

They most certainly are restartable with checkpointing enabled, we're doing that now. I can vouch for the fact that it will pick up from the failed job in the loop, just like it would for any other sequence of objects in a Sequence job.

I cannot, however, confirm if the loop counter would be smart enough to pick up where it left off. In my case, the loop counter I'm using doesn't do anything except force it to loop until a routine in the loop decides it is time to exit the loop. I've never tested the counter value during failures as I haven't needed to yet - in my case it didn't matter.

That being said, I'd suggest you build yourself a small test 'harness', a little loop that dies after X loops and then restart it and see what happens. Best way to learn is to do, as they say. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I think you'd need to parameterize the StartLoop properties.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.