Cannot view Data from DS Designer

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

abhilashnair
Participant

Cannot view Data from DS Designer

Post by abhilashnair »

I am using a PX job which is populating a DB2 table from source DB2 table. Target is an exact copy of the source except that the target table name is different (thats obvious :)).

The structure of the job is like this:

Source DB2 Stage------------>Transformer------------->Target DB2 Stage

Target Properties:

Write Method : Load
Write Mode : Append

The job is running fine with no warnings and the data is getting populated in target. But I am not able to view the target data using the "View Data" option in Designer. I can view this data externally by using SQL commands.

When I checked the properties of the DB2 target stage, I was amazed to find that the "View Data" button on the top right corner of
Input ->Properties Tab is missing. There is only the "Columns" button.

Also on right clicking on the target DB2 stage there is no option for viewing data. Can anyone explain this? Thanks in advance :)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

When Write Method is "Load" the bulk loader will be invoked. View Data can not "view" the bulk loader, which is why View Data is disabled. Switch the Write Method to "Upsert" and View Data will be enabled (but several of your other stage properties will be invalidated).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
abhilashnair
Participant

Post by abhilashnair »

I tried the following

Write Method: Upsert
No effect.

Write Method: Write.
No Effect.

What about the Write Mode? Should that be changed as well?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes, in fact that's the property I meant. (I don't have access to DS at the moment.)
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
abhilashnair
Participant

Post by abhilashnair »

Tried changing the write mode also. Still no effect
us1aslam1us
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by us1aslam1us »

Unless you are using the API stage, you won't be able to perform view-data. I guess you are using the Enterprise stage, which doesn't have that available.

Sam
abhilashnair
Participant

Post by abhilashnair »

I am using the DB2/UDB stage from the pallete. But the same, I have used in source as well as target. I am able to view data in source. Not in target. Please explain
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

Is the 'View Data' button visible or grayed out? If it is visible, then what is the error message that you see when you click on 'View Data'?

FYI: If everything is defined right, then you should be able to view data even if the DB2/UDB stage is used as the target stage. Period.

Whale.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
us1aslam1us
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by us1aslam1us »

I suggest you to read Ray's post again. In both Bulk load stage and Enterprise stage, the bulk loader will get invoked and you won't be able to 'View Data' unless you are using API stage.

Sam
abhilashnair
Participant

Post by abhilashnair »

I_Server_Whale wrote:Is the 'View Data' button visible or grayed out? If it is visible, then what is the error message that you see when you click on 'View Data'?

FYI: If everything is defined right, then you should be able to view data even if the DB2/UDB stage is used as the target stage. Period.

Whale.
The View Data button itself is not there in the Properties. Also when I right click the target stage, the View Data item is absent.
abhilashnair
Participant

Post by abhilashnair »

us1aslam1us wrote:I suggest you to read Ray's post again. In both Bulk load stage and Enterprise stage, the bulk loader will get invoked and you won't be able to 'View Data' unless you are using API stage.

Sam
If I use the API stage, I wont get parallel functionality. So I cant use that.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you use a Lookup File Set stage you won't get View Data either. Some stages just don't support it. Any stage that invokes a bulk loader does not support View Data when in bulk loader mode. End of story.
abhilashnair
Participant

Post by abhilashnair »

ray.wurlod wrote:If you use a Lookup File Set stage you won't get View Data either. Some stages just don't support it. Any stage that invokes a bulk loader does not support View Data when in bulk loader mode. End o ...

So if at all I want to view data in the target, what options should I specify in the properties?
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

That rest of Rays message said 'End of Story'. If you still dont agree, you will have to take this upto IBM. Nothing we can do. Use your favourite sql tool to view the data.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Create another job with an Oracle Enterprise stage and an output link. Use View Data there.