editing sequential file with hex editor

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kirankota79
Premium Member
Premium Member

editing sequential file with hex editor

Post by kirankota79 »

i have a sequential file with final delimiter "end" and i have some junk values in it. to get rid of them i am using hex editor . after i remove those junk and when i save it.....iam getting the whole data in a single row. I no longer see the file in the format that is before editing. please help me what king of setting i have to do with sequential file or hex editor.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

In other words, some of the "junk" values you removed were the legitimate EOR values - CR/LF pairs for a DOS file. Don't do that.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
us1aslam1us
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by us1aslam1us »

Hi folks this is the continuation of this thread

viewtopic.php?t=106099&highlight=

Sam
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

In your last post, you should have told everybody clearly what you intended to do.
Instead of asking for replacement of the "small squares", it would have been a better option to ask, as to how to read that particular file.

If you had answered Craig's question in your previous post, you could have got a better answer!
chulett wrote:Tell us what they are, what the hex values are that you are seeing.
Replacement of the these special characters was never required in the first place. You just needed a better way to read this file.
Again let us know the HEX value of those special characters.
Usually you get these small squares when the files are not transferred properly between UNIX and Windows systems.
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.