Single Large Project Versus Multiple Small Projects

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

thebird
Participant

Single Large Project Versus Multiple Small Projects

Post by thebird »

Hi All,

Is there any advantage having multiple small projects (say about 4or 5 - as per functionality team - Master Data, Merchandise Planning, Finance.... ) instead of a single large project on a Development box?

Since the projects are going to be using the same available resouces, scratch space, temp space - I am not sure if this idea is good. Moreover its is going to be difficult to maintain - especially with lots of reusable components needing to be exported/imported between the projects.

Thanks in advance.

Aneesh
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Large projects are contraindicated because it takes longer to populate things like drop-down lists and tree structures in the clients. Small projects are contraindicated because of the need to manage shared components more closely.
Where are your priorities?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
thebird
Participant

Post by thebird »

Ray,

The priorities are purely to avoid or minimise any memory and other such resource constraints on the DS Server. Does the breaking up of a project somehow help in this?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

No, I don't believe so. The only 'resource' you would be constraining, one way or the other, would be the wetware portions. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No. Though multiple projects may, in some small way, reduce contention for locks held by client processes.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
thebird
Participant

Post by thebird »

Ray, Craig

Since its going to be the same development team working on the multiple projects depending upon the functionality, I would assume that they would time to time need to log into more than one project at a time - possibly for checking out similar code snippets and job designs. We are talking about 20 to 30 users at a time.

This I believe would negate the plus point of reducing contention for locks held by client processes. Am I right?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Not if the reusable components are adequately managed and documented (for example on an intranet). The built-in reusable components (those shipped with the product) are available in every project. So you only need to manage and document the in-house-developed ones.

If you're using a source code control system, this becomes even easier.