how to get rid of warning trigger

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

PeterPol
Premium Member
Premium Member

how to get rid of warning trigger

Post by PeterPol »

Hello all,

I have a sequence job in which a parallel job is called.
Only if this job ends with warnings, the sequence job should trigger a warning.
What confuses me is that the sequence jobactivity always triggers a warning, even though the called job has finished with status OK?!

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Peter
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Thats odd. The jobstatus is leveraged upto the jobactivity trigger which then routes it accordingly. Need more info on your job design and warnings that you are getting.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What's the actual warning message?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Ray, isn't there a parameter you can set at the project level which can tell DataStage to ignore these types of warnings?
Mamu Kim
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Any APT variable which can set a sequence to create a warning when its underlying job finishes ok?!?! (Iam sure Kim, wont refer to Message handler)
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is a compilation option for job sequences that requires a warning message to be logged if a job under control finishes with a status other than OK - look on the job properties tab.

Yes, I believe Kim is referring to a message handler. There will be a paper or video on DSXchange early next year on message handlers.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
PeterPol
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PeterPol »

Hello,

Some more info:

The jobactivity has one trigger with expression type: warning-conditional. This trigger leads to a routine that logs the name of the 'failing' job (using DSLogWarn). I also tried to create 2 triggers on the jobactivity (OK and otherwise), but this didnt work too.
The compiler options for both jobs (caller and called job) are all unchecked.

Are there perhaps alternative solution to communicate the status of the called job to the controller job? In earlier version of the job I tried to set the user status so that the controller job could pick this up. However, this didnt work. Got a warning: Error reading Job Status record. I read somewhere that DSSetUserStatus cannot be used in a parallel jobs :(

Peter
PeterPol
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PeterPol »

Hello,

I just removed the warning trigger link from the job and still get a warning ???

Peter
PeterPol
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PeterPol »

Hello all,

I re-created the job from scratch and everything seems ok :)
It's not clear what can have been wrong...

Thanks anyway!

Peter
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

What was the condition that you gave in the Warning conditional. That might have lead to the warnings in the main Job control. DSSetUserStatus can be used either in BASIC transformer or in Server shared container in PX.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Ray is correct. I think if you have warnings because the database complained about an insert or update. I do not care about metadata mismatches because of some shared container being setup wrong. I won't the database issue to finish with warnings and the sequence to stop but I do not want the sequence to stop because of metadata issues. This one job parameter can do this. If Ray or someone does not post this before I do then I will post it. Very powerful parameter. This should always be set.
Mamu Kim