regarding peopletools process scheduler

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Saama
Premium Member
Premium Member

regarding peopletools process scheduler

Post by Saama »

Hi,

i have read in the forums that normally people who work on ERP APPLICATIONS like peoplesoft integrated with datastage go for scheduling tool like peopletools process scheduler, why does they go for this particular scheduler, does it comes integrated with peoplesoft.

i have also read in the forum abt DRS PLUGIN where the datasource is a jobparameter, can we use jobparameters as datasource or target. can u plz specify which source and target stages are commonly used when u deal with ERP APPLICATIONS like PEOPLESOFT.

cheers;
saama
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Third party scheduling tools use DataStage's command line interface dsjob to execute DataStage jobs.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Saama
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Saama »

Hi Ray,
what abt PEOPLE TOOLS PROCESS SCHEDULAR, does it has any advantages over other 3rd part tools like control-m, event coordinator, autosys.
and as we have default stages like ODBC STAGE OR OCI STAGE as source or target stage when we deal with oracle database, can i get some information as which source stage is used when we deal with peoplesoft.Atleast list of sample stages.

cheers;
saama
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I am completely agnostic about schedulers; whatever my clients choose is their call. I do not offer "this is better than that" advise ever, because such comparisons can change over time.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

And you really only have two choices when dealing with databases: Native or ODBC. Me, I always prefer a 'native' interface over something like ODBC, but that's just me. :wink:

For Oracle, the native stage is the Oracle OCI stage you mentioned. You will need an appropriate Oracle client installed on the DataStage server to use it, however. That's also true for any 'thick' ODBC drivers, i.e. that are not 'wire' drivers - wire drivers do not require the client in order to work.

The DRS stage does either, but I personally wouldn't use it because of the way it handles everything in an 'ODBC-centric' fashion. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers