DataStage PX and Optimised ABAP extract and IDOC extract

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

wmaass
Charter Member
Charter Member

DataStage PX and Optimised ABAP extract and IDOC extract

Post by wmaass »

hello

Recently i was commissioned to be involved with a large SAP ledger implementation; This required the abap extract and idoc extract. The volume is approximtely 1TB per night; I have architected a two ETL server solution ( AIX ) machines, that will act as catalyss to move data only. There is an intermdiate machine ( Z/OS ) that will be doing the transformations.

So,

SAP ( AIX ) --> ETL1 ( SAP plugin ) --> Z/OS --> ETL2 --> DW ( datawarehouse) .

For scalability I have installed DB2 DPF on the DW as other groups and departments of the client will be coming on board in the future.

Question:
I want to be able to propose the most efficient solution for both ETL1 and ETL2 (DS EE) however, the same solution doesnt apply for the "PULL" portion of architecture?!?

rationale;
ETL2 install 8 to 10 way machine with DB2 DPF toincrease performance of the large accounting transaction datafiles coming from Z.OS

ETL1 however, the intent is to extract and directly insert into Z.OS;
limitation:
DB2 EE stage does not work with MVS DB2.

Only DB2 API stage is supported

I am not sure if DB2 API supports partition DB2 updates/inserts? and I would like this confirmed?

Question:
If SAP R/3 was originally written for DS Server, is it optimised ( parallelism enabled) in DS EE? Is it perhaps in an optimised state in DS 8.0?

IF anyone can answer these with rationales i would be appreciative.
thanks in advance,
wmaass@verizon.net
thebird
Participant

Re: DataStage PX and Optimised ABAP extract and IDOC extract

Post by thebird »

wmaass wrote:Question:
If SAP R/3 was originally written for DS Server, is it optimised ( parallelism enabled) in DS EE? Is it perhaps in an optimised state in DS 8.0?
Hi,

The SAP R/3 PACK does not support parallelism. I am currently working on R/3 PACK version 5.1 with DS EE (7.5.1) and the PACK stages all run sequentially. We also realized that the DS generated ABAP code were not really optimized and cause performance issues while extracting from huge volume tables - in which case we went in for customising these codes.

I do not think that they are coming up with an upgrade (to Parallel) in DS 8.0 - just because I havent heard/read about it any where yet. Maybe somebody else here can confirm that..

Aneesh