Installing parallel canvass in standalone system

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

karthikgk0705
Premium Member
Premium Member

Installing parallel canvass in standalone system

Post by karthikgk0705 »

Hi,

I am new to DS.Can anybody suggest how to install PEX in standalone system? I heard from my friend that if only unix is installed I can work in PEX, I have done it even then its not working. Plz dont tell that this has been already answered as I have searched for.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Karthik.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Installing PX to develop is generally simple - insert your product CD and enter the relevant licensing information.
What specifically is your problem?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Only one version of DataStage can be used to execute parallel jobs on a Windows system; that is version 7.5x2.

You need to obtain a copy of that specific version (the "x" really is part of the version number), and a licence for it.

If you have a DataStage client installed, then it will be able to display the parallel canvas any time you are connected to a server on which parallel execution is possible.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
karthikgk0705
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by karthikgk0705 »

The problem I face is I build a parallel Job when I compile it is getting compiled but when I run it I get a message that this Job is not runnable on this platform. Help me plz.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

This means that you are not running version 7.5x2 which is the ONLY Windows-based version (until 8.0 is available) on which parallel jobs can be run.

You have only one solution available if you want to run parallel jobs (or compile parallel jobs that contain Transformer or Build stages), and that is to install version 7.5x2.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
avi21st
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by avi21st »

Hi gurus,
Then what abt SMP OR MPP CONFIGURATION.
till today i thought parallel jobs can run on SMP OR MPP CONFIGURATION, whatever may be the operating system, since the load should be shared among different nodes.
SERVER too plays an important criteria.But i think datastage uses parallelism through node configuration.
one of my friend said that u need TX ENGINE installed if yu want to run the parallel version on standalone system.

plz help me out if iam going wrong.

cheers;
abhi
Avishek Mukherjee
Data Integration Architect
Chicago, IL, USA.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You're way off track, but not as far off as your friend.

Read Chapter 2 of Parallel Job Developer's Guide, which explains the architecture requirements. SMP can be a single CPU server, but this will have limited capacity.