file name

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

m903782
Participant

file name

Post by m903782 »

is there any way to reach the name of the file when you work on it in datastage
HI
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

When you say reach, do you mean get the name of the file from which you are reading?
Parameterizing the file name can help you.
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
thebird
Participant

Post by thebird »

There is also the File Name option in the Sequential file stage which lets you have an additional column in the metadata with the file name as the value inside.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

If its about deciding filename on runtime, then YES, its possible on many ways.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
Sreenivasulu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Sreenivasulu »

Hi Kumar

I have no idea how to decide filename on runtime. Can you tell us ?

Regards
Sreeni
kumar_s wrote:If its about deciding filename on runtime, then YES, its possible on many ways.
BalageBaju
Participant

Post by BalageBaju »

Hi Srini,

Do you mean that passing values (file names) at run time. If yes, you can follow this way:

1) Choose Edit-->Job Properties-->Parameteres
2)In the dialog box you can create your new parameters and also you can assign default values to them.
3)Assign those parameters to the stages.
4)You can pass the values to those parameters at run time ie whil clicking run button it will ask all the parameter values, so that you can pass your values(file names, table names etc.,) at run time.

Hope this is your expectation.
Regards,
Balaji.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

You can let us know, on what basis the filename should be decided. So that the method can be decided.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
Nageshsunkoji
Participant

Re: file name

Post by Nageshsunkoji »

m903782 wrote:is there any way to reach the name of the file when you work on it in datastage
Hi,

First clarify your requirement. Other wise, here so many assumptions are going on.

You mean you want to pass the file name as parameter ? ( One more assumption :P )
NageshSunkoji

If you know anything SHARE it.............
If you Don't know anything LEARN it...............
m903782
Participant

Post by m903782 »

Ok OK ... i am not clear
the problem is the following.

I have to to know the name of the file wich i load in the datawarehouse.

But i am working in a society wich does not accept to use dynamic parameters. i have to deal with.

before, il launched my job or during the laucnhing, is there any way to know the physical name of the file without using any dynamic parameters.

really thanks for you help.
javascript:emoticon(':P')
Razz

:P
HI
thebird
Participant

Post by thebird »

thebird wrote:There is also the File Name option in the Sequential file stage which lets you have an additional column in the metadata with the file name as the value inside.
If you need to know the file name at the time of loading why cant you use the above option?

Aneesh