Windows Vs UNIX

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

elavenil
Premium Member
Premium Member

Windows Vs UNIX

Post by elavenil »

We are in the process of starting the DW project for one of the bank. DataStage EE licence has been purchased and we are planning to use Windows OS for the development and AIX for production. I would llike to have the following info when the jobs are migrated to prod from devt environment.

1. Parallell processing capablity

2. Node configuration

3. Difficulties in Migration

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Elavenil
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Wow, did you get your answer already.
Stick to one platform throughout. Either windows or unix. Search this forum for which one to use and which one not to.
Parallel process and Node configuration wont be a challenge. But cant say about migration. Plus if a single platform is adhered to, it becomes easy to script and code when necessary. What if you want to script a shell, and want to test it along with your job, how are you going to do that.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

You're in for difficult times. You'll have to avoid any Windoze functionality when developing, therefore, you'll have to parameterize all directory paths including the slashes so that you can correctly move to the unix environment. You'll also have to parameterize all calls to operating system commands (DSExecute, etc). so that the correct call is made for the environment.

You really should be on one consistent platform.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

kcbland wrote:You're in for difficult times.
You can say that again, and louder :wink:
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Parameters, my friends, and more parameters. Don't do ANYTHING platform-specific.

The migration itself is quite straightforward; it is exactly the same technique you would use on homogenous platforms.

You WILL need to recompile everything on the AIX machine, since it will use a different C++ compiler, and you will need to configure data sources on both machines, but possibly using different methods. For example ODBC on UNIX is configured by editing the .odbc.ini file.

Dont forget, too, that security is done differently.

Oh, yeah, the bugs are different too.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

There is no way I would do this. I would buy a small AIX box before I would develop on Windows and implement on UNIX. I would do LINUX before Windows. I think this is a very bad idea. I think the UNIX versions are all better than Windows anyway.

This is just my opinion. I hope it works for you.
Mamu Kim
Nageshsunkoji
Participant

Post by Nageshsunkoji »

Hi Elavenil,

After all these posts and from my experiecnce, it is always better to choose UNIX environment rather than Windows. It will be very helpful in the sense of security and maintaince.
NageshSunkoji

If you know anything SHARE it.............
If you Don't know anything LEARN it...............
aakashahuja
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by aakashahuja »

I would vote for UNIX too.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I do prefer UNIX but that was not my point. Developing in one OS and implementing in another is bad even if it is 2 versions of UNIX. It is worse when it is Windows and UNIX. Just like Ray says the bug lists are different. Something may work fine in Windows and fail in production.

You have made your implementation very difficult.
Mamu Kim