Controller problem: Error calling DSSetParam

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

durgaps
Participant

Controller problem: Error calling DSSetParam

Post by durgaps »

Job Design:

UserVarActivity ---------> JobActivity

Scenario:

1. Calling a Routine in the UV Activity, which returns a string.
2. In JobActivity passing the value obtained in the UV.

When I am running the job, the following error message is appearing.
Controller problem: Error calling DSSetParam(err_txt), code=-4
[ParamValue/Limitvalue is not appropriate]

I also tried calling the Routine in the job activity and pass the value to the parameter, but the same error appeared.

Any leads on this.
Durga Prasad
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

DataStage job parameters are assigned different variable types in the job (i.e. string, path, encrypted, integer and [I'm not sure about this] date). You have a parameter that is one of the non-string type and have tried to pass a value that is not allowed at runtime.
You need to change your run-time values to fit the type or change your type definition to make this job run correctly.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Leaving the default (if it's "") set when issuing a run request will generate this for all parameter types other than string or encrypted. It's a good way to force the operator to supply a value for that parameter.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I believe that actually leaving required fields (like Date or Integer) empty in a Job Activity stage when they have no default in the actual job will generate a compiler error.

You'll also see this particular 'not appropriate' error if you supply a parameter value to a List and it's not in the list of valid values. However, in your case with a target parameter type of 'String', this error can happen when the string has fun things like @FM characters in it. Try something like this and see if it helps:

Code: Select all

EReplace(YourParameterField,@FM,"")
These can be there when using DSExecute, for example, and taking data from its 'output' variable.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
durgaps
Participant

Post by durgaps »

Yeah it worked to perfection!!! Thanks. I will be posting another topic to discuss on the @FM, @VM, @AM variables.

Thanks,
Durga Prasad