maximum number of processes (%s) exceeded

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

durgaps
Participant

maximum number of processes (%s) exceeded

Post by durgaps »

Hi all,

I am running a job whose design is as follows:

Seq_File ---> Transformer ---> Stored_Procedure_Stage(ORACLE) ---> Transformer2 ---> Seq_File2

The job is aborting with the following message:
Item #: 2528
Event ID: 2527
Timestamp: 2006-11-09 11:55:23
Type: Warning
User Name: ncsmetl
Message: SP_Get_OM_Param,0: Error: ORA-00020: maximum number of processes (%s) exceeded

Item #: 2529
Event ID: 2528
Type: Fatal
Message: SP_Get_OM_Param,0: Error occurred in call to ORPHCallActivePluginInitialize().

Item #: 2530
Event ID: 2529
Type: Fatal
Message: SP_Get_OM_Param,0: The runLocally() of the operator failed.
I know that the reason for this as the maximum number of processes have been reached, Oracle will not process any new requests. Thats fine.

But my requirement is how do i catch these kind of errors and make the job finish normally or with warnings. Also, please throw some light on the basic functionality of ORPHCallActivePluginInitialize() and why the call failed here. I searched through the archives but couldnt find an appropriate answer. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Durga Prasad
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Speak to your DBA to increase the value of the PROCESSES initialization parameter.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You are calling the SP for every row processed. Row buffering means that you are calling it N times at a time, depending on how many rows fit in your virtual Data Set buffers.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.