license question

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kashif007
Premium Member
Premium Member

license question

Post by kashif007 »

Hi guys

i need some information. If i had to install a new license of datastage. can any one tell me how many users can it support. like if i use just one license for three developers working on a project then Do you know the limitations of concurrent licenses? How does that impact your work activities?

please help
Thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: license question

Post by chulett »

kashif007 wrote:i need some information. If i had to install a new license of datastage. can any one tell me how many users can it support.
As many as you were willing to pay for. Concurrently.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Andet
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Andet »

There's normally 2 licenses. One for the clients and one for the server(s). If you have a 3 client license, then 3 developers can be logged in at one time. If you have a 4 CPU server license, and you have 6 CPUs, you'll get a warning message on the log every time a job runs.
Etc.

Upgrading a client license with 7.5? Get a new pass code and update through the administrator.

Ande
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There can, however, be lots of licence codes, depending on what componentry you are installing. For example there's one for server jobs, one for parallel jobs, another for mainframe jobs, more for various PACKs, more for IMS connectivity, and so on.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Andet
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Andet »

Well yes.
With version 8, to get full functionality, you'll need a license for DS, one for Quality Stage, and (I believe) one for the Business Glossary,
along with the various client licenses, of course.

Ande
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That's true now. QualityStage, ProfileStage, MetaStage etc are separately licensed. (You omitted Information Analyzer from your list.)

And it remains the case in 8.0 that server, parallel and mainframe job editions of DataStage are separately licensed. Though, as now, Enterprise Edition includes parallel and server.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I'm curious how the actual licensing works in this new world, if it is the same as what I've just seen for our 7.5.2 adventure. Client purchased licenses for a new Server install and we got two serial numbers. Which one to use? :?

It took several tries to get an explanation that made sense. Turns out one is the serial number you use for the actual installation. What shocked me about it was seeing that the Server license allowed 999 CPUs and the Client license allowed 999 Users. :shock:

The other serial number was our 'Entitlement' serial number and lists how much of those 999 one is actually entitled to use. This is the serial number you use when contacting support as well. And, accordling to IBM, the enforcement of those entitlement limits are all on the honor system. :shock:

As you can see, quite shocking. Is that what other people are seeing in this Brave New World?
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Version 8.0 licensing is totally different, now confirming to IBM licensing methods. No more auth codes. You get ALL the IBM Information Server components on a single DVD and use a GUI-based (Windows or X-Windows) installer. There is also a command-line installer. The installer reads an XML file that IBM provides to determine which components to install and with what limits.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

So, I guess the question still remains - are the limits enforced or is it on the honor system? I'm inferring a 'yes' from your last phrase, but looking for confirmation.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

As far as I can ascertain, client licensing (total connections) is enforced in a very similar way to how it is done now. Server side licensing I'm not sure about. How about asking on IBM DeveloperWorks, which seems to be gaining some momentum now?
Andet
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Andet »

I know of a firm that is running DB2 on more CPUs than the license is for.
It seems to work fine, using all CPUs on the servers.

Ande