Modify Stage - System Date to Timestamp conversion??

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

catmans1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Modify Stage - System Date to Timestamp conversion??

Post by catmans1 »

Are we able to create a new column in the modify stage without a source from the input side?

I'm trying to put a load timestamp into my target table (UDB/DB2) in which I just want the system date and time to be loaded into this new field.

I've tried the following

Specification =
DW_LOAD_TIME = timestamp_from_date(tdatetime)
(new column)

Warning Message I receive = Modify_48: When checking operator: The modify operator has a binding for the non-existent output field "tdatetime".

(The data loads for the other fields but the DW_LOAD_TIME field is blank)

I'm not sure if tdatetime even returns the system timestamp but I've read it somewhere so I thought I'd try.

Any help with my problem for Modify stage to this usually simple task in Server version would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Clarence
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

At a quick glance that looks OK, provided that there is a field called tdatetime in the input stream. Are the fields on both sides nullable?

How and where is tdatetime derived?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
catmans1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by catmans1 »

Ray,

That's where I'm confused I guess. Does the Specification parameter in the Modify Stage require a mapping of a Input to a output?

I don't have an input date for my output column, I want to load the Current Timestamp to the output column......can this be done in the Modify Stage?

A truly EE newbie question but I can't find any info in the Online Manuals on this.

Thanks for any input.

Clarence
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The Parallel Job Developer's Guide chapter on Modify stage gives full information about constructing specifications, though it has some of the functions incorrect (for example NullToValue should be handle_null).

Ask your support provider to obtain the Orchestrate Operators manual (and the other Orchestrate manuals) for a more definitive discussion.

Essentially the specification, in full, is

Code: Select all

outputfield:nullable datatype=function[options](inputfield)
If you're not changing nullability, omit nullable. If you're not changing data type, omit the datatype.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
trobinson
Participant

Post by trobinson »

My two cents is that the only way to get the CurrentTimeStamp, for a given row being processed, is via the Transformer stage. It can't be done with the Modify stage or any other standard (non-custom, generic) EE stage. I'm throwing this bold assertion out there in the hopes of it being disproved.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I agree. To assemble a timestamp from date and time is not possible in Modify, whose functions accept only one argument. Nor can any function in the Modify stage generate new data (other than handle_null).
my_stm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by my_stm »

May i know that Orchestrate Operators manual that you all mentioned, is it the link as this below?

http://www.ascentialsoftware.com/servic ... vGuide.pdf

I asked my support provider and they gave me with this .pdf file. Is it this is the one?

Thank you
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That is the one if you're on version 7.0. There are more recent Orchestrate manuals for version 7.5. I guess you could try substituting orch75 for orch70 in the pathname, but no guarantees. Hassle your support provider some more.