how transformer works internally in datastage PX

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

coehcl
Charter Member
Charter Member

how transformer works internally in datastage PX

Post by coehcl »

hi all,
i am working in datastage parallel extender from last 4 months but i want to know how the transformer internally work in datastage .i tried to find out documents regarding this topic but i am not able to get any meterial .so can anybody help me regarding this issue.
Thanks in advance
rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rameshrr3 »

As far as i know , the PX Transformer stage implements a C/C++ like sub Routine. While compiling a job containing PX Transformer stage , the job compiler searches for the Operating System c/c++ compiler in the location pointed to by APT_COMPILER environment variable. Setting correct values of the environment variables under Compiler section of Parallel is important.

The transform operator transforms all records that pass through it based on the
value of transformation expressions you supply.
The Transformation Language Versus C

The Transformation Language contains additions to C to handle record
processing. Also, parts of C are not supported. The following sections indicated C
language items that are not supported by the Transformation Language or that
work differently in the Transformation Language.
The above are as described by the Orchestrate Operators reference guide, Chapter 21. The transformer stage implements the 'transform' operator. Im not sure if you are in possesion of this document, but its named "OperatorsRef.pdf" and is available for download from Orchestrate section of the Knowledge base--> Product Documentation at the IBM support site for Data stage and related products
tagnihotri
Participant

Post by tagnihotri »

Just to highlight we have two types of transformer in PX i.e. basic and PX.

Also Search the forum there is ample floating around

rameshrr3 wrote:As far as i know , the PX Transformer stage implements a C/C++ like sub Routine. While compiling a job containing PX Transformer stage , the job compiler searches for the Operating System c/c++ compiler in the location pointed to by APT_COMPILER environment variable. Setting correct values of the environment variables under Compiler section of Parallel is important.

The transform operator transforms all records that pass through it based on the
value of transformation expressions you supply.
The Transformation Language Versus C

The Transformation Language contains additions to C to handle record
processing. Also, parts of C are not supported. The following sections indicated C
language items that are not supported by the Transformation Language or that
work differently in the Transformation Language.
The above are as described by the Orchestrate Operators reference guide, Chapter 21. The transformer stage implements the 'transform' operator. Im not sure if you are in possesion of this document, but its named "OperatorsRef.pdf" and is available for download from Orchestrate section of the Knowledge base--> Product Documentation at the IBM support site for Data stage and related products
bhargava129189
Participant

Post by bhargava129189 »

I want to know why i am not able to compile jobs when i place a constraint on the links based on stage variables.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

bhargava129189 wrote:...not able to compile jobs when...
What errors are you getting when you try to compile such a job?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The error message will include the generated C++ code, if it gets that far. Otherwise the error message will highlight the syntax error. But you have chosen not to post the error message, so your question is in the class "my car won't start, what's wrong with it?".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.