TIMEOUT implementation in DataStage job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

durgaps
Participant

TIMEOUT implementation in DataStage job

Post by durgaps »

I have a job which is accessing an external application called 'HiPortfolio' through ODBC stage. There is an issue where the DS job hangs even when the 'HiPortfolio' server is down. i.e. it tries to connect to the application even when the server is not up. This situation needs to be handled in DS by providing a TIMEOUT for the connection establishment, so that, the job ends after waiting for a period of say 60 seconds.

Is there any way I can handle this in DS? Is there any 'TimeOut' Environment variable I can use? I searched through the archives but couldnt find an answer to this situation.

Thanks in advance,
Durga Prasad
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Seems to me you'd have to handle that via the ODBC drivers themselves somehow, a setting perhaps. Not really any way to have DataStage 'time out' inside a job that I've ever seen.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
tagnihotri
Participant

Re: TIMEOUT implementation in DataStage job

Post by tagnihotri »

Craig,

I wonder will the job hang or abort because of connection faliure ?

durgaps wrote:I have a job which is accessing an external application
called 'HiPortfolio' through ODBC stage. There is an issue where the DS job hangs even when the 'HiPortfolio' server is down. i.e. it tries to connect to the application even when the server is not up. This situation needs to be handled in DS by providing a TIMEOUT for the connection establishment, so that, the job ends after waiting for a period of say 60 seconds.

Is there any way I can handle this in DS? Is there any 'TimeOut' Environment variable I can use? I searched through the archives but couldnt find an answer to this situation.

Thanks in advance,
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Connection failures would typically result in a simple abort of the job... don't recall any situations where it would result in a 'hang'. :?

But then I've never heard of HiPortfolio or if there is anything 'special' about it...
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
tagnihotri
Participant

Post by tagnihotri »

I do agree with you, because from what I have seen the jobs abort with connection failure error!

chulett wrote:Connection failures would typically result in a simple abort of the job... don't recall any situations where it would result in a 'hang'. :?

But then I've never heard of HiPortfolio or if there is anything 'special' about it...