Notification Mail in the Top Job Sequencer

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

shivakumar
Participant

Notification Mail in the Top Job Sequencer

Post by shivakumar »

Hi ,

I am creating the Top Job Sequence ,it contains the Exception activity and Notification component. This Top job Sequencer calls the child sequencers and the child Sequencers calls the Datastage jobs.

As per my requirement if the job fails in any of the child sequencersthen I have to capture the exception of the job and I have to propagate that exception to the Top job Sequencer and I have to send the Email to the repective end users.

If the job in the Child sequencer fails then is it possible to cature that exception and also propagate the same to the Top job Sequencer?

For capturing the exceptions and sending the Emails I have to put the Exception and Notification in each sequencer or by Just poutting these stages in the Top job sequencer it handles the chils sequencers exceptions also ?

If so what are the settings I have to do for this?

Thnaks and Regards
Shiva
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

The parent sequence can capture that the child sequence is aborted, but not the detail log. You need to have individual ExceptionHandlers to capture the log. But if you want to have a centralized Notification, you can do some workaround like, writing the individual log to a file at particular path, and reading the same file and master sequence level to pass the message.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I don't see any burning need to make the top level Sequence job do all the work. If each 'sub' Sequence does its own email notification, then they can automatically include exception information in the email via a check-box. The top level Sequence can know that there was an error and handle things appropriately there.

The top level Sequence can certainly send all emails but I don't believe you'll get the level of failure information you want from there... not without alot of 'extra' work that is. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers