Surrogate Key Generation in PX

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

shivakumar
Participant

Surrogate Key Generation in PX

Post by shivakumar »

Hi ,

I have to create a surrogate key for a target table by taking the maximum value from the same target table.

For example I get the Maximum value as 100 now I have to insert the values starting from 101 for this I am using the Transformer stage for incrementing the values the Logic is MAXVALUE+INROWNUM.

In the PX the inrow num is not proper because based on the Partitions it is givinig the same rownumbers for next partition.

For Eg

Partion Number Row Number Max(Value)+Rownum
1 1 101
1 2 102

2 1 101
2 2 102

Can you please help me out.

Regards
Shiva

How Can I resolve this
keshav0307
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by keshav0307 »

1st get the maximum value (say MAX_SURG) of surrogate key from the target, for this you may write a routine to parse a single SQL) .

now use surrogate key generator stage, with start value of MAX_SURG+1
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Add 'PartitionNum' to the RowNum to get the unique value across partitions.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

You have two ways of doing it. The surrogate key generator stage does handle the multiple partitions to give you unique numbers. You can mimic this in a transformer stage variable following the instructions in the FAQ forum on creating a parallel counter.
kool78
Participant

Post by kool78 »

one of the best possible methods would be using "Oracle Sequence".
"Attitude always and almost determines the altitude of your Life"
keshav0307
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by keshav0307 »

kool78 wrote:one of the best possible methods would be using "Oracle Sequence".
how you will use the oracle sequence, will you give a oracle call for each row, or you will write a before insert trigger??

what is it is a teradata table or any other batabase or if you want to write in a csv file etc.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Not a fan of the database generated keys unless you have multiple products loading at the same time. The DataStage generated keys do a good job. See my comments at: Why database generated surrogate keys drive me nuts!!!